• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aa.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Simple Steel Hardtail
  • lupinelacuna
    Free Member

So I got a taste of steel with a Brompton. Like my alluminium chclocross feels horribly rigid and painful. And I hate its restrictive riding position, compared to the Brompton that I could chuck around everywhere on the streets of London.

I think I want 29 wheels (out of interest, on concrete, what runs better 26 or 29?) and singlespeed.

So looking at either the Pipedream Sirius or the new Cotic Simple.

Anything else I should be considering? I want the build to be very light so any recommendations as to components would be appreciated. I’d like disc brakes also.

Thanks

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Genesis Fortitude SS

wwaswas

Pace?

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Charge Cooker… I got a frame instead of the whole bike.
    On One Inbred is another cracker

takisawa2

Niner MCR, Singular Swift, Genesis (cant remember the name), Inbred, Surly Karate Monkey, christ theres loads of steel 29ers. Cant help think they are a bit OTT to just run as a road machine, the Surly perhaps not so much.

My Inbred used to fly with SmallBlock8’s, so I can imagine a slick tyred 29er should be nice & fast.

lupinelacuna
    Free Member

Why overkill for mainly road? I just like the feel of it. And want to bomb up and down kerbs, etc. The problem is that, living in Guernsey, I am not in a position to test ride any of these bikes…

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Wiggle do a test ride option:
    We’re so confident that you’ll love your new bike from Wiggle, that we’ll let you test ride it for a month! If you’re not happy with it, just email us to bike@wiggle.co.uk and we’ll pick it up from you for a full refund. Just make sure you keep the box so it can be re-used to send it back. Read more about our 30-day test ride

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

light could equal expensive.id probably choose and inbred then upgrade the frame as necessary.if the deal doesnt work then shipping on wont be an issue.could even use drops on it as well.what about a salsa fargo? pretty much do it all then if you want to ride far and away load it up and go! happy days 😀

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I’d go with the Sirrus -why I stock pipedream and have held the frames. They are nice. Close up photos are available on my website which are not on the Pipedream site so you can take a look at the dropout area and the head tube joins. Never riden or held a Cotic.

http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk

inbred853

Got a cheap 2011 Salsa El Mariachi from the classifieds, ” swinger”, dropouts let me change between geared and single speed easily. Also do a 26 wheeled size, Al a’Carte, however don’t think they still make it.

takisawa2

My Inbred was about 23 – 24lb, singlespeed with Smallblocks & carbon forks. I’d say a Cotic or Niner would drop another pound off that, go for some lighter rims (mine were TN719’s) & another pound again. I’d be looking at the Swift. The forks on them are lovely.

aa
    Free Member

i’d second inbred853.

i love my a la carte. it’s a barrel of fun. i believe ison still have some, though salsa have indeed stopped making them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Simple Steel Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.