Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Simple metal brackets – buy or have made?
  • ambientcoast
    Free Member

I’ve been given a Fiamma bike rack from a written off motorhome (no damage to the rack) which I’m going to put on my van. However, it didn’t come with the fitting kit, which will cost around £80 from a Fiamma dealer for what’s essentially 4 really simple u-shaped metal brackets with drilled holes. So, pretty steep.

Are there places that can make custom brackets like this? And would it likely be cheaper to do this, given that I only need 4 of them? Anyone know?

For info, the brackets are these (the bolts and spreader plates in the pic are easy to source and I wouldn’t need the white plastic covers):

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2500/pjzoy/products/1643/images/5530/Fiamma_200d_fitting_kit__36629.1357302989.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

andyl
    Free Member

**COUGH**

oh you need 4…so that’s near £80.

Does seem a bit steep.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Nah, that upper kit is for a different rack.

Both the upper and lower kits for mine (200D) look virtually identical.

Thing is I have no idea where to start looking for someone who might be able to make them, or whether it would even be cost effective for them to just make 4 units as a one off.

TBH, I’ll probably end up buying them… once I’ve made a **** of myself on the phone to some metal fabricators, of course.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you have a mate who can knock them up go for it but any fabrication company will be charging you 40 quid or more on the books I would expect.

I’d knock something up myself personally.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s kinda what I was expecting, cheers.

(And nope, I don’t know anyone who can do this.)

andyl
    Free Member

the main brackets look easy enough to make, Just get some sheet stainless steel and bend it or some square box section and cut diagonals so the diagonal edge of one is also the edge of the next (if you get the idea?).

tron
    Free Member

You can’t cut box section to make angle / channel – it’s still under tension due to the process of folding it up and will spring out as soon as you cut it.

Bending stainless is also likely to be hard – it work hardens.

I’d be inclined to get some galvanised U channel or extruded aluminium channel in a beefy thickness and go with that. Probably the aluminium as it won’t rust and will be easy to drill and file to shape. In theory the aluminium could fatigue and leave a load of bikes on the hard shoulder, but I’d just go for a really thick extrusion and not worry about it.

Folding up bits of sheet metal will be hard work and unless you replicate the details and any edge folding on the original pressings can result in disappointingly wobbly brackets.

andyl
    Free Member

If it opens up just put it in a vice and squeeze it. Use heat to relieve any hardening.

I wouldnt use galvanised as where you cut it you will be breaking the galvanising and it will rust and I wouldnt go with aluminium as I simply wouldnt trust it for somethign home made that has to take a lot of load. Thick extrusion could work but it might be hard to come by something thick enough and the right size. Steel is much more forgiving.

You could even use some steel L (the perforated stuff) and mount them like LL. Not as neat looking but could work if you don’t mind extra bolts.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Yeah, I think by the time I’ve bought a hacksaw and a vice, and a decent workbench to attach the vice to, and, er, some metal, then I might as well just buy the bleedin’ things ready made. :o)

I had thought about using that L shaped drilled angle iron stuff (or whatever it’s called) but with the bottom parts of the L overlapping to make a ‘U’ shape. But on second thoughts I guess the holes either side of the U then won’t properly line up, right?

Oh well, £80 it is. Bah.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Actually, hmmmmm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Simple metal brackets – buy or have made?’ is closed to new replies.