Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Simple is as Simples does.
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Is this a marker, a low tide mark in the English language?

Is this a linguistic flag waved by the dumbed down?

Is this an example of the pervasive nature of televisual advertising’s success?

Is it a call to others, a method of attracting potential peers?

Or does it just say: “I think adverts for compare the market car insurance are hilarious”?

I don’t get it, it sounds retarded. STOP IT!

DezB
    Free Member

You’ve brought something to my attention that I have previously ignored.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh god, its worse than I’d imagined possible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Amusing wordplay showing insight and creativity?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, there is always the off switch.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

ChalrieMungus FTW. Simples.

DezB
    Free Member

The off switch to LIFE?
    It’s impossible to ignore everything. As MrNutt has demonstrated.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm. Good point DezB. Complicateds.

DezB
    Free Member

Good point DezB

Thanks. Doesn’t happen very often.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, there is always the off walk.

DezB
    Free Member

..there’s always the

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

what he said..simples

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

As above…spot on! Pimples!

MrNutt
    Free Member

right!

THATS IT!

/flounceon

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Are we doomed?

Yes we’re doomed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, the Compare the Meerkat ads have got to be one of the best ad campaigns ever. They’ve taken a pretty boring product/service, and brought it right into the public consciousness. That the word ‘Simples’ has now entered the Oxford English Dictionary shows just how much it has captured people’s attention.

The ads are very funny, clever and well made, imo. Loving the latest one:

‘Bogdan did a sponsored silence and we shaved Piotr’. 😆

And now there’s even merchandising?!?! Genius.

To me, those involved in creating this campaign, and making it work, are as deserving of accolades as film-makers, musicians, and any other creative types. Why not, just because a work is in the commercial realm rather than being presented as ‘art’?

That they irritate and annoy snobby up-their-own-arse pseudo-intellectuals desperately trying to be ‘above’ such things is a bonus, as far as I’m concerned.

Is this a marker, a low tide mark in the English language?

Is this a linguistic flag waved by the dumbed down?

Quite the opposite, I’d say.

Is this an example of the pervasive nature of televisual advertising’s success?

Undoubtedly. You don’t have to watch it though, do you?

Is it a call to others, a method of attracting potential peers?

Or does it just say: “I think adverts for compare the market car insurance are hilarious”?

I don’t get it, it sounds retarded. STOP IT!

Maybe it’s just something as simples as people appreciating something funny, imaginative and uplifting?

Or is this beings too difficults for you?

Kevevs
    Free Member

he’s right you know. Just ‘cos it’s successful and pervasive doesn’t mean it’s not good or creative. It’s a very clever bit of marketing. It’ll wear out though, quickly.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

As a result of this thread, I’ve just remebered my mum has a Homepride Fred string dispenser. I’m having that…

Wish I’d bothered keeping all those tokens…

And six or seven pints is definitely not good for you…

DezB
    Free Member

It’s just another advert on telly.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Steady now….

samuri
    Free Member

As a result of this thread, I’ve just remebered my mum has a Homepride Fred string dispenser. I’m having that…

And therein contradict yourself.
    And now there’s even merchandising?!?! Genius.

Merchandising based soley on advertising has, as you point out, been around before most of the people on this forum were born. It’s neither genius nor creative, merely following a well worn path.

I have no doubt there are secret marketing schools hidden around the country in dark caves but I very much doubt the people who attend are taught smart stuff, it’s just nasty stuff.

The meerkat advertising theme is based entirely on the lowest common denominator, just like virtually all advertising campaigns are. You can’t convince clever people to buy your product with nice images but you sure as hell can get stupid people inline.

I’m still trying to work out if Nokia are actually trying to pitch their latest camera/smartphone at blind people.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s an untapped market for cameras for sure.

And a very bold move by the marketing team. I mean, can you imagine putting that one in front of the board? “We’re going to use a blind man taking pictures in our next ad. Yes, yes, I know it sounds like the biggest pile of bullshit you’ve ever heard of but hear me out. There are almost 2 million people in Britain with serious loss of sight, that’s a lot of cameras we’re not selling. Let’s wheel out some blind chap and pay him a **** fortune to say he likes taking photographs he’ll never see. Stick him with some pretty girls and we’ll have an advert to convince the blind buggers they need our phones.

Now pass me that crack, I’m dying for a drag.”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And therein contradict yourself.

How so? That Homepride, Robertsons, PG Tips etc etc have had successful spin-off merchandising stuff is testament to the creative brilliance of their ad people, in creating iconic brands. Same with CTM. Take a boring product, create a brilliant ad campaign, even create demand for merchandising- if they intended all that from the start, that’s genius! I don’t even own a car, I can’t even drive ffs, but I want to Compare the Market, simply because of those ads.

I would love some of the little characters off the Lloyds’ ads. That is a simply beautiful campaign, that one.

The Pot Noodle ads too; brilliant.

Welshmen ‘mining’ pot Noodle, with Welsh accents and everything. Tidy.

And who can forget, the ‘Slag of all snacks’?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The meerkat advertising theme is based entirely on the lowest common denominator, just like virtually all advertising campaigns are. You can’t convince clever people to buy your product with nice images but you sure as hell can get stupid people inline.

I must be very, very stupid then. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

You suggested that producing merchandise based entirely on a marketing campaign was genius despite your mum having a 30 year old example of precisely that. I’m doubting the term genius when it’s been done many times before.

I doubt you’re stupid unless of course you buy stuff because you like the pretty pictures you see in adverts. You…don’t do that do you?

Kevevs
    Free Member

“Welshmen ‘mining’ pot Noodle, with Welsh accents and everything. Tidy.”
    People love a stereotype.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but Kev surely it’s a positive cultural stereotype, no? Celebrating the hard working men of Wales, and the contribution they have made to Britain. I thought it was quite a subtle dig at Thatcher/ism, personally…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m doubting the term genius when it’s been done many times before.

The ‘genius’ is in the fact that ads for such a mundane product have spawned merchandising. And the success of the ads in installing that brand into the public consciousness.

I doubt you’re stupid unless of course you buy stuff because you like the pretty pictures you see in adverts. You…don’t do that do you?

Oh yes, because I am incredibly stupid. Kev will tell you.

CountZero

Now take a shufti at the Shake’n’Vac ads if you want to see truly irritating dumbed-down advertising. The CTM ads really are genius by comparison. I’m totally with Elf on this, I think the meercats are a very clever piece of marketing, tapping into the love of an amazingly appealing animal that the public already love. They make me laff every time, while not actually leaping for the computer to access their website.

Seriously Count, they make you laff every time?

I’m sure I’ve sat near you in the cinema – are you one of those people that lol at adverts you’ve already seen a thousand times on the tv 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

“Yeah but Kev surely it’s a positive cultural stereotype, no? Celebrating the hard working men of Wales, and the contribution they have made to Britain. I thought it was quite a subtle dig at Thatcher/ism, personally…”

not in my opinion. it’s a pot noodle advert dreamed up by some **** in an ad company that have no idea of Wales or Welshness, or even “working men” in general.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Got to say I think you’re wrong on that one Kev. Interesting that we have differing interpretations, innit?

it’s a pot noodle advert dreamed up by some **** in an ad company that have no idea of Wales or Welshness, or even “working men” in general.

The blokes in the ad were former coal miners. And you’re making massive assumptions about those working on the campaign.

And it was created by an agency who you’ve expressed admiration for in the past…

Kevevs
    Free Member

I dunno, I know all that. Is that Mother? I guess I just got old and sour and cynical 🙁 I liked it at the time. I’m fed up of advertising.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok then. Don’t be sour though. Try to be more sweet, like me.

Limnescale. Rust. Ground in dirt.

CILLIT BANG CILLIT BANG CILLIT CILLIT CILLIT BANG!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPONH2j4In8[/video]

BANG! And the dirt is gone….

MSP

You do realise that if we deny the evolution of language, no matter what the source,and try to capture it as a historical entity. Never changing, preserved as a museum piece to define a Britain past (false utopia), that we will be copying the French!

😕 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

OMG I agree with Fred.

This must be the exception that proves the rule that he’s always wrong.

rOcKeTdOg

There’s a programme comparing meercats? That’s a joke surely? Some of you watch too much TV!

stumpy01

Surely not as bad as the ‘wassssuppppp’ Budweiser advert from a few yrs ago that had everyone repeating it inanely?

samuri
    Free Member

I remember some marketing woman cold calling me on my doorstep one time. She presented me with a load of pictures of very well known adverts that didn’t actually show the product and asked me to identify the product.

I failed terribly. In so many cases the advertising was more succesful than the product. I knew the advert, I could sing the jingle but could I remember which actual beer or cleaning product was being sold? Nope. I suspect she’d chosen those specific advertising campaigns on purpose to highlight that very point. But she worked in marketing so who knows, she was screwing with my head no matter what she was up to.

The Meercat stuff is pretty close to that. You have to think about what they’re actually advertising. The wassuuppp advert for which I truely believe someone should have been shot is another good example. And those frigging stupid gorilla on the drums adverts, what was the chocolate bar again?

Unless it *is* insanely clever and so subliminal that we don’t even realise the product is being planted into our heads but I’ve never developed a taste for dairy milks, budweiser or insurance comparison sites. Again, it may be something that only works on stupid people, like convincing someone that one football team from a city that plays in red shirts is in some way superior to another football team from the same city that plays in blue shirts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Simple is as Simples does.’ is closed to new replies.