Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Simple explanation of the difference between Civil and Common Law?
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Is the OP not asking what the difference is between UK and EU systems of law?

Oh and I thought Trespassing had been criminalised to ease dealing with Hunt Sabs.

mk1fan
    Free Member

double post

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I am well aware of the difference between actual sentence and time spent imprisoned I jus thought I’d mention it since we were discussing murder being the most serious offence.

They use the offence of aggravated trespass to deal with the Hunt Sabs (or used to when hunting wasn’t banned).

aracer
    Free Member

I am well aware of the difference between actual sentence and time spent imprisoned

In which case you know that life does mean life.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It doesn’t mean life! If someone is sentenced to life imprisonment they can get released on parole, with life conditions, probation etc. We do not imprison people in the UK until they die (which would mean life)!!!!!!

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

And there you have it, it’s open to interpretation. That’s why I find Law so interesting, especially criminal law. The nuances of the English language determine how something is defined. Statute law tries to be as prescriptive as possible but it is still open to interpretation. For example until 1994 a man could not rape his wife as it just wasn’t recognized in law. Judicial precedent changed that.

If you’re interested (and a little bit sad like me)!! See also the two definitions and tests of recklessness (Cunningham & Caldwell) and the test for criminal liability – actus reus (criminal act) & mens rea (criminal mind). Both have to be satisfied for a crime to have been committed.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

In relation to recklessness it all used to be between subjective and objective recklessness. The concept of objective recklessness being R V CALDWELL (1982) however this has now gone and is restored to it’s former position of R v G & R (2003). This case was 2 children who set fire to some burning newspapers in the rear of a shop yard whilst camping out. The children put the burning papers under a wheelie bin and left them expecting the small fire to burn out. It didn’t and caused a million pounds worth of damage.

Under R V Caldwell the children would’ve been convicted on the basis that the risk of the fire would have been obvious to any reasonable bystander, however their convictions were quashed by House of Lords who reinstated the general subjective element.

How interesting the law changes then returns to it’s original. There is some case law relating to assaults that still stands now and it is from 1669 and another from 1853!!!

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Ha ha, yeah. Law is constantly being tested and (IMO) is a system we should be proud of. With political & economic systems failing. Law stands up.

Always questioned, often misunderstood, rarely outdone! 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Criminal law I find very interesting. Look at things like the special defences for murder and stuff like that. Oh and proving attempt murder is a nightmare! For murder you only have to prove intent to cause serious GBH OR death, to prove attempt murder you have to prove intent to kill!!!! Hence why they often struggle and get charged with s18 GBH wounding with intent instead of attempt murder as S18 still carries a life sentence.

aracer
    Free Member

If someone is sentenced to life imprisonment

Except that except in a very few cases (eg Myra Hindley) people aren’t sentenced to life imprisonment. I thought you said you knew the difference between sentence and imprisonment?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Aracer are you just being an argumentative t***!!! I was just saying life doesn’t automatically mean life!!! I know some people get life. I’m quite well aware of the law thanks.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member
    JacksonPollock
    Free Member

They got life sentences. The Judge has set the ‘tariff’ at 19 yrs. Thats 19yrs before they can be considered for parole.

Whether that is enough, is open to debate, its a life sentence all the same. Know where you are coming from though, it rarely means a lifetime incarcerated. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Exactly there is no way they will die in prison it just won’t happen (I know it can but it’s so exceptionally rare). But that’s exactly what I was saying JacksonPollock.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Simple explanation of the difference between Civil and Common Law?’ is closed to new replies.