Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Simple chainring replacement question.
  • alansd1980

In the middle of trying to switch from triple 44/32/22 to a double.
    Have switched the chainring a and the chain is falling between the rings and having some issues with the front mech.
    Just had a thought, in a rush this morning I put the new 36 where the old 44 was on the outside of the spider. Am I correct in thinking that if I put the chainring inside the spider this should sort out this issue?

I know this might seem obvious but I really am a novice with anything mechanical so wanted some reassurance before trying anything else. Supposed to have a race Sunday and if this isn’t sorted pronto could be struggling to make the start line never mind the finish line!

vincienup
    Free Member

The normal way to do this is to throw the outer (big) ring away and maybe put a bash there.

Your 36 should be where your old 32 was.

Tweak the high screw on the FD so that it can’t move to the outer position anymore.

Should be fine.

You don’t say, but I assume you got single ring bolts for the new 36? If you aren’t using a bash you’ll need them or it won’t fit properly…

damascus
    Free Member

What he said!

alansd1980

Yup, already got single ring bolts but it was just the massive gap between the two rings that was giving me problems.
    Hopefully swapping the position should resolve this, otherwise I will be at my lbs early Saturday morning with a sheepish look on my face!

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Simple chainring replacement question.’ is closed to new replies.