Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Simple, but nice things to do with xmas veg…
  • the-muffin-man

We have the following for tomorrow…

• Carrots
    • Potatoes
    • Parsnips
    • Brussells
    • Peas
    • Swede

…just after something simple to make one or two of the above a little bit tastier. And without unobtanium type ingredients the ‘chefs’ seem to want to add (i’m not going to the shops on Xmas eve).

Cheers!

(Yes I know I should have put a bit more thought into this before now!)

bruneep

Just boil em for 3 hrs.

bigG
    Free Member

Glaze your carrots with a little soft brown sugar and butter
    Make champ with the potatoes
    Glaze parsnips with honey and chilli flakes
    Brussels, fry off with bacon
    Peas, also good with bacon and shallots
    Swede, loads of pepper and butter (dull but it’s a dull veg)

wallop

I wanted to do parsnips with maple syrup but the shop hasn’t got any syrup. Meh.

Just done some nice braised red cabbage, Delia-style, ready for tomorrow.

In addition to the bacon with the brussel sprouts as mentioned above, chuck in some pine nuts.

ski
    Free Member

Glazing veg sounds interesting?

Do you simmer the carrots first then glaze and bake?

Sorry I am not a cook 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

try any little tesco express, they tend to have maple syrup 🙂

a sprinkling or paprika and chilli powder on your potatoes as they roast

+1 on honey with parsnips

sprouts with melted salted butter and bacon/smoked gammon chunks

i roast the carrots as they go nice and sweet.

BigJohn

It depends how much room you have in the oven but I like to blanch (boil in unsalted water for 10 mins) potatoes then carrots then parsnips, previously chopped up small-ish and roast them in the same pan with whatever fat or oil you like. Also you can add chopped pepper and onions and at the end a few small tomatoes and crushed garlic with a bit of vinegar and wine. If you take the veg out of the water, and reduce it a bit that makes a nice stock to pour over at the end. Throw in the peas and you have a brilliant meditteranean style roast veg dish.

To improve it further, lovingly prepare the sprouts & swede and see how far you can throw them.

Milkie
    Free Member

Something similar to this..

ton

carrots and parsnips roast in a little honey
    sprouts steamed then fried off with chestnuts in a little butter.

all you need on xmas day, what whith starters and all the trimmings and pud.

bigG
    Free Member

ski – Member
    Glazing veg sounds interesting?

Do you simmer the carrots first then glaze and bake?

Sorry I am not a cook

Cut your carrots into batons, boil in lightly salted water for a few mins until done, but not soft. Drain them, chuck in a knob of butter and a small amount of soft brown sugar along with a good grind of pepper, shake them around / gently move them in the pot to coat them in the butter / sugar mix. The sugar and butter will melt and coat the carrots and make them delicious, but artery hardening.

philconsequence
    Free Member

think i’m going to try the potatoes, parsnips and carrots par-boiled, then roast in some goose fat and paprika/chilli powder seasoning… but i’m going to add in the chipolatas to the mix so the flavour seeps into the veg a little. remove the chipolatas and add honey to glaze the veg

gammon to be chopped up and fried with salted butter, add the par-boiled sprouts then heat tomorrow to finish it all off.

pheasant will be slow roasted with a halved lemon stuffed inside it, add chipolatas to the roasting dish tomorrow for the last 20 minutes to finish off that part.

i’m nomming already

ThePinkster

Give carrots, sprouts & asparagus a Vichy glaze by boiling them in water with sugar, butter & salt. Use a low wide pan and simmer once boiled so the water can almost completely evaporate, leaving the glaze of the veg.

lizzz
    Free Member

Roasted anything with a sprinkling of rosemary. Mmmmm. 🙂

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Root veg- drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds and roast in oven. Potatoes look very attractive if you half them and then put slices in , nearly all the way but now quite and then drizzle with oil and roast .sprouts -bloil em till al dente and then fry in butter for a short while with either chestnuts or cashews .OR you can shred em and stir fry with ginger , enjoy

muddy_bum
    Free Member

• Carrots butter and cumin
    • Potatoes roasted in goose fat
    • Parsnips glaze with honey before roasting
    • Brussells nice with a few chestnuts finished in a frying pan
    • Peas don’t try anything fancy wit peas
    • Swede butter and plenty black pepper

anonymouse
    Free Member

Shred the sprouts and fry with pancetta and chestnuts, then add cream and grain mustard.

Sandwich

Spuds can be done with honey. We cut into the tops almost like thin slices held together. Roast for 30 mins less than normal and then brush honey onto the fan. Return to the oven for 30 mins to complete cooking.

grantway
    Free Member

With Swede glaze with Honey whilst cooking

Brussels I cook first finely cut Bacon and add in the cooked Brussels followed
    with two table spoons of fresh cream and chopped herbs mixed together
    whilst in the pan and serve.

Potatoes Boil for 14 mins then drain and put the lid back on and gently shake
    and then cover with Olive oil and cook normally but turn the potatoes
    over half way.

BlobOnAStick

Parsnips and Parmesan. yum

rOcKeTdOg

we are having slow roasted veg with chilli

matthewjb
    Free Member

For the most painless way with carrots,cut into batons and wrap in foil with butter and may be some wine.

Stick in the oven when you take the turkey out. SHould be done in about 40 mins.

You realise that boiling carrots removes most of the flavour.

tomhoward

Just boil em for 3 hrs.

For the love of all that’s festive, not this.

I hate undercooked veg at Xmas.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Simple, but nice things to do with xmas veg…’ is closed to new replies.