• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Silver Rims?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Firstly, I mean polished, shiny silver, not dull painted! 🙂

In theory, if I wanted some, what is there available these days? I'm struggling to find much out there. Something a bit beefier than a Mavic 717, say 500g max, and 19-20mm wide.

Alternatively, what about buying black and getting them stripped and polished? Doable? Advisable?

Just wondering, like, idly passing the time…….. 😉

GW
    Free Member

totally do-able but ultimately pointless! – if you plan on riding the bike more thsn polishing it 😉

just get silver 719s
    What rims are painted silver anyway?

tinsy
    Free Member

Why not.. but think I would buy silver ones to start with and only polish the faces the spokes dont come out of, as that bit will be a ball ache, to polish and to keep nice, its likely to be costly to have done.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd really like something shiny silver off the shelf, the Mavic rims are dull, more grey than silver.

Just toying with it at the minute. I need some new wheels (well I will next year, mine are wrecked and on borrowed time) and I really, REALLY fancy some Royce hubs, and they only come in silver which I like. Campag used to make silver rims. I had one, a Mirox IIRC…..

I can just see it now, all in shiny silver. Dribble.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh 719s you can get in silver I think, I used to have some 521's in silver, dont know whether they still do them. Think some of the Sun rims might also come in silver, or possibly chrome.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dont Spank do chrome rims? Probably a bit too heavy tho.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

59TTP – I'll check Sun out, thanks. 🙂

How sad am I? I took this pic in 1993…

That's what I want, in disc brake flavour. 🙂

(IIRC I paid £95 for that rear wheel. Campag rim, Sachs New Success hub, one of the first cartridge bearing hubs that took a Shimano cassette, for a reasonable price. Best rear wheel I've ever had)

tinsy
    Free Member

isnt it flamejob thats got all the polished stuff? He would be the one in the know.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

isnt it flamejob thats got all the polished stuff?

It might be. He did do a rather fetching job on some Pikes. 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

yup its him,,, shiny silver rims, and everything else!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I might mail him. Flamejob and I share very similar tastes on what looks good. 🙂

SidewaysTim

I've got some 26" Salsa Delgado Race rims hanging up here – they're shiny silver. Drop me a mail if you're interested, but they'll be like £30 each.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Arrggh! This always happens to me when I'm just idly musing/dreaming..! Last time I mentioned Royce hubs, somebody offered me a pair….

Tim, I'm guessing they're new? 🙂

I've just Googled the Delgardo Race and TBH they are probably a bit lightweight for me, but I might take you up on that if you've still got them in a few month's time when I'm in the market properly! Thanks for the offer. 🙂

SidewaysTim

Brand new – ahead of their time obviously 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

PP, would suggest you don't want just polished or they will look rubbish most of the time unless you polish them after every ride. Laquering straight onto the metal won't work well either as laquer does not stick well to polished metal – as demonstrated by some car wheels I've had in the past.

As a reasonable compromise why not try the silver paint the laquer process like car wheels. Looks closish to polished and pretty hard wearing. A mobile wheel bloke should be able to do them for about £30

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Capt, that's a good suggestion. I'll keep it in mind when I get round to building some wheels. 🙂

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Spank make polished silver rims!

BIGMAN
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bigman – 24 inch rims only as well. 🙁

Nice try though. 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Peter

I've still got the Royce wheels available if you want to make me an offer…..

😛

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Silver Rims?’ is closed to new replies.