Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Silver and black spokes mixed half and half on a wheel? Tacky or cool?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I have a set of wheels I got off ebay for a decent price. I have replaced all the bearings in the Hope hubs and was thinking about replacing some of the spokes with half silver drive side and half black none drive, front would be the same. Anyone done this? Cool or tacky. any pics? Am I bored or what! I once had a wheel like this but I can't remember when lol, it came on a bike!

I have it on my orange Alpine, looks pretty cool but it was done out of neccesity as the guy building my wheels didnt have enough of both to do one or the other!

andrewh
    Free Member

I've used odd ones when one has snapped and my only spare of the right length has been a different colour. Looks a bit naff but doesn't really bother me.
    maybe half and half would be better, try it and see.

druidh
    Free Member

LOL – I was just thinking about this earlier this week. I was thinking of doing it in quarters – 4 groups of 9 spokes on each wheel.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would look neither cool nor tacky, just crap IMO

Each to their own and all!

Anthony
    Free Member

I did it years ago but laced it so that each spoke alternated round the rim. To be honest you only really noticed when you looked closely, but it did look quite good.

nickc

Tacky… Go for it 😀

billybob
    Free Member

Looks good on my wheels…

Onzadog
    Free Member

nickc has the best answer so far! If you're going to do it, find two different nipple colours as well as it will make the difference in spokes more noticeable. After all, what's the point in doing it if no one notices?

If you're going to do it, do it properly.

TomHill
    Free Member

Not quite the same, but I did this. Tacky, possibly, but I like it.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

its pretty cool on that on one. go for as many colours as you can.

The '08 Roval Traversee's had a black to silver fade. My '09's came all black and look better than the '08's imo.

angryratio
    Free Member

stainless spokes are better.. build better wheels (opens can of worms)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Silver and black spokes mixed half and half on a wheel? Tacky or cool?’ is closed to new replies.