Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Silly tyre combos
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone used or dreamt up any weird tyre combinations…?

Riding to work this am – mostly quick and drying trails, but with some wet bogfests and slidy corners with limited steering grip

Thinks to self whilst riding…

ahh, Trailraker front / Racing Ralph rear 😯

njee20
    Free Member

That’s not that daft, Ralphs aren’t that bad in the mud. I did have a Mud X/Furious Fred combo on at one point when I couldn’t be bothered to change the back. Was alright.

FuzzyWuzzy

I used to run a 2.3 Storm Control on the front and a 1.9 Conti mud tyre on the rear in muddy conditions – everyone used to take the piss at the tie but seems fairly common to go fat front/thin rear in mud these days, not that I’m claiming to have pioneered anything :p

mrplow
    Free Member

I run high roller front and larsen rear for the muddy local winter riding – a ton of drifty fun. :mrgreen:

trail_rat
    Free Member

i did a race once at drumlanrig on the wet roots with a 1.8 trail raker out the back and a very soft 2.1 small block 8 upfront …. worked better than expected , the SB8 deformed round roots well and the trail raker gave me traction for power on the boggy grass uphills

the trailraker slipped like hell on the roots and the SB8 gave next to no steering on the deep boggy mud and wet grass 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

i ran a maxxis minion DH (F) on the rear.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I like slidy back spiky/grippy front tyre combos, a couple of winters I haven’t bothered changing the back tyre at all.

bellerophon
    Free Member

rocket rons all year round for me, not a combo as the OP was looking for, but nice and fast when dry, nice and slidey when wet.

thomthumb
    Free Member

high roller rear continental gravity on the front. when i was borrowing wheels from bikes for some reason.

the other way round they are a good combo. HR is planted, conti is a bit vague but grips all the way over. swap em and you’ve got a grippy back wheel 7 a vague front one – not good.

GregMay
    Free Member

Karma out back, Furious Fred up front! Works for me until I go Karma/Karma then SB8/SB8 combo come racing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did try and run a Panaracer Rampage on the rear one winter, good grip on roots, but totally rubbish for uphill traction if it was remotely moist!

smiff
    Free Member

Nevegal front/SB8 rear worked well for me in Wales even in the wet. that isn’t so surprising (SB8 is really a nevegal with 2x half size blocks), but i was suprised the Nevegal is a much better front tyre than back… but not as good as…

…Minion DHF, front and rear is very common advice btw, just not the 42a on rear..

paulosoxo
    Free Member

IA

i ran a maxxis minion DH (F) on the rear.

That’s not silly, that’s what everyone does with minions.

andrewh
    Free Member

No, I have DHR on the back and DHF on the front.
    Although, I do have a spare DHF in the garage having worn out the matching rear, current rear is looking a bit worn so i suspect I shall be using two DHFs shortly…
    SS currently has 2.1 Nobby Nic art the front and a Michelin Wildgripper semi-slick at the back, old tyre stuck on it for commuting purposes.

IA

No, I have DHR on the back and DHF on the front.

See, now that’s a silly combo worthy of this thread 😉

FraserHughes
    Free Member

I’m currently sporting a 2.25 Rocket Ron front, 1.8 Fire Mud Pro rear combo.

Was ideal for the ‘puffer and I’ve not got round to changing it!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mud X on the front,Stans The Crow on the back.For all the “How do you drift/cutty” people,just try this.It’s an odd sensation -travelling backwards at high speed!

lunge

On my Dh hardtail at the moment I have a 2.7 Super tacky Maxxis Minionon the front and a 2.2 Conti RaceKing Supersonic on the back.

It’s not that bad a combo actually, a bit drifty but not as bad as it sounds.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Silly tyre combos’ is closed to new replies.