Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Silly, silly handle bar question
  • letmetalktomark

The numbers …. what do they mean?

Looking for a new riser bar after a long time in the simple world of the straight bar!

Width, nothing confusing there
    Sweep, equally, the amount the bar curves back to you.

Upsweep and rise – aren’t they the same thing? Clearly not so whats the difference (told you it was a silly question!

E.g.

780mm wide – Check
    8 degree backsweep – Check
    5 degree upsweep – Huh?
    15mm Rise – What? I take it thesis how much they rise from the straight are where the stem mounts but if so whats upsweep?

Surely they are only two planes – Probably not.

Feeling stupid 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Upsweep is surely the angle from horizontal that the bar sits at if mounted with zero rotation at the stem. I assume a bit of upsweep stops your hands slipping off the end on heavy impacts as your hand is pushed into the sweep.

Northwind

Upsweep is exactly like backsweep, except up instead of back. Though it’s not really that simple because if you rotate the bars, it changes.

Rise is height change rather than angle.

plyphon
    Free Member

Correct,

Rise is how much the “grip tube” area of the bar is higher than the clamping area.

Upsweep is the angle of that area relative to horizontal, providing your bar is centered in the stem. Both upsweep, backsweep, and rise changes when you rotate the bars in the clamp.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Upsweep is similar to backsweep but in the vertical plane.
    Rise is how much above a flat bar the grip section is. Normally achieved with the bendy parts between the grip section and the stem clamp section.
    A bar could have zero upsweep but still 2″ rise etc.
    To muddy the waters slightly I believe some manufacturers measure the rise to the middle of the grip section, and some to the end of the bar.

letmetalktomark

Gotama – Member
    Upsweep is surely the angle from horizontal that the bar sits at if mounted with zero rotation at the stem. I assume a bit of upsweep stops your hands slipping off the end on heavy impacts as your hand is pushed into the sweep.

Still don’t get it 😳

letmetalktomark

Upsweep is exactly like backsweep, except up instead of back. Though it’s not really that simple because if you rotate the bars, it changes.

Rise is height change rather than angle.

Got it, I think, so the rise figure is measure based on the result of the upsweep?

So guessing the rise figure could change as/if you cut down the bar.

Stevet1
    Free Member

so the rise figure is measure based on the result of the upsweep?

No. Not really, although possibly a little bit.
    Think of BMX bars. Something like an S&M slambar is 8″ rise, and 1 degree upsweep.

letmetalktomark

^^ that makes sense, thank you.

As I said, twas a silly question!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Silly, silly handle bar question’ is closed to new replies.