Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Silly question – shed felt
  • deano8
    Free Member

Would green shed felt last longer than black because of the heat the black felt would attract?
    Both Wickes ultra heavy duty products but black is £10 cheaper.

stumpyjon

Doubt it, green is still fairly dark and will still absorb a lot. I guess the green is more expensive as it’s less common.

mudshark
    Free Member

Blacker the better surely – white people are more likely to get skin damage in hot sun right?

project
    Free Member

Start with the lowest point of shed roof use clout nails or felt nails, and lots of them then overlap the next layer, its all down to the fixingthat protects the felt not the colour.

Green looks better.

deano8
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Can’t see the roof from my house so I’ll think if save myself £20 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I was ‘shed felt’ once…….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

1) Are you anywhere near Manchester?
    2) Do you want to sell me the offcuts for my treehouse?

marthall
    Free Member

I did all my sheds (3) with this stuff 4 years ago and it’s the best money I ever spent…

Coroline

Supposed to last for 25 years at least.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What Marthall said. Got onduline on my chicken house and it’s been fine – even survived a proper tornado. Our shed on the other hand is done in heavy duty felt and has had to be recovered twice in the same period.

Edit: if you must use felt go for the more expensive one as it’s thicker and is slightly more resistant to tearing.

project
    Free Member

Dont attempt to shed felt in a wind, the felt will blow and rip, and then becomes costly, but at least the neighbours get 250 quid for filmingh your mishaps of Youve Been Framed.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

This Sheds and garage covered in this, pretty bulletproof, hoping to never have to do again!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Under your nail line run a bead of silicone as over time water gets through where the nails are.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Good call smithy

teasel
    Free Member

smiththemainman >> Sheds and garage covered in this, pretty bulletproof

How bulletproof?

I have a couple of sheds with thick slate felt and the roof doubles as a walkway for access to guttering but I’m in the process of building a third. D’ya think that EPDM stuff would take a gentle stomping every now and then or is it so thin it’ll tear with that kind of abrasion…?

andyl
    Free Member

For walking on I would say the biggest factor is the substrate below – ie how stiff it is, any sharp corners etc.

teasel
    Free Member

It’ll be 18mm sanded plywood sheet supported every 45cm. Probably only one joint.

What do you reckon – should be okay as long as I don’t have really gritty boots.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 on the corrugated bitumen sheeting.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Silly question – shed felt’ is closed to new replies.