Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Silly question about bottomless rings
  • kraken2345
    Free Member

So I’ve got a rockshox monarch plus rc3 debonair and want to install some bottomless rings. I can’t seem to find anywhere info on the maximum number that can be installed and it’s more out of curiosity than requirement. I assumed it was 9 as that’s what the kits are sold as but I’ve never heard anyone use more than 6 however this could just be down to the shock being useless with anything more than this.

Also as a kind of “subtle” wanted add if anyone has 3-4 tokens going unused I’d be interested in taking them off their hands.

Cheers

mark90
    Free Member

9 will fit in the can. How many and how progressive you want the shock will depend on how progressive your bikes suspension is.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’ve been quite ignorant thus far to the magic of progression/leverage ratios etc. I have a specialized pitch 09 if that helps…;)

mark90
    Free Member

I’m sure some people can come up with the answers looking at suspension curves, for me it’s more trial and error. But running the same shock on my Aeris compared to a mates Airdrop we had to put more tokens in the shock on the Airdrop to prevent bottom out. Riding the same trails with the same sag %. The Aeris seems to have the more progressive suspension curve and too many tokens make it over progressive IMHO, whereas the Airdrop was more linear and benefited from more tokens to give it some progression – less bottoming out and more mid stroke support. It also comes down to rider preference. Certainly play around as the ride will differ between the extremes. I find the effect of a bottomless ring has less noticeable effect than a single fork token so usually add/remove in pairs until fine tuning.

kraken2345
    Free Member

That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks. There’s a 5 minute descent near me that I know well so I’ll take some tools out and do some testing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Silly question about bottomless rings’ is closed to new replies.