Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Silly nonsense.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Every four years, I'm always amazed at how people seem to expect the English soccer team to do well in the world cup as if that naturally follows because the then team won some trophy 40 years ago at the stupid thing, egged on by the hysterical and ridiculous media.

It's just 22 blokes kicking a ball round a field. Surprise, surprise – other countries also have lots of people who can also do this.

Then we get all the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth when the inevitable happens.

At least now all the tedious flag-waving/hanging bilge can get put in the cupboard/dustbin for another four years…

tomzo
    Free Member

Why would we not expect them to do well? There's alot of top, world class players in our team, they just need to perform in an england jersey like they do for their clubs…

And england played pretty well in qualifiers..

Jamie
    Free Member

[Wayne Rooney Sarcasm]

Very insightful Mr Woppit……

[/Wayne Rooney Sarcasm]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Do they do sarcasm in Liverpool?

Dey do don't day do don't dey do de doo da day….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It's just 22 blokes kicking a ball round a field.

Should that be MrsWoppit…?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I don't know, why should it?

flatfish
    Free Member

Calling the beautiful game "soccer" shows you to know nothing about the subject, jog on muppet.
    Troll over.
    P.s. I thought we had no chance of winning the world cup before it all started anyway.

brakes
    Free Member

world class players in our team

are there really? the best international teams have world class players on the bench as well as on the field, I'd say England have 7/8 and only one decent striker who had a mare last night.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I don't know, why should it?

Because you sound like my mom. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You should listen to your "mom", she knows whereof she speaks.

I understand that "fans" of "football" don't like the American descriptive and get really annoyed when it's used.

Soccer it is, then…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Soccer. 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

I understand that "fans" of "football" don't like the American descriptive and get really annoyed when it's used.

Now you just sound gay.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Calling soccer " the beautiful game" shows you to know nothing about the subject, jog on muppet.

Although I'd never really say "jog on" as it's an utterly rubbish thing to say.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

Now you just sound gay.

So what?

jon1973
    Free Member

nothing. you just sound gay.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

Now you just sound gay.

So what?

The typical soccer fan only has a small vocab, so they tend to use 'playground' insults alot

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well seeing as the term 'football' is a generic term for many different types of ball sport & 'soccer' is an abbreviation/contraction of 'Association Football' then the term 'soccer' is quite correct.

The fact it winds up the wendyball followers is merely a pleasant little addition! 😛

nickc

The football hater threads are getting quite dull now.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Nothing beats a good old barney about religion… :mrgreen:

Stoner
    Free Member

I think this says it all 😉
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10358426.stm

RustySpanner

Back under your bridge Woppit.

This really is a poor effort, I expected better – more effort required or I'll break into your man cave, reverse the direction of one of your speaker cables, put the other out of phase and leave a copy of the Watchtower on the seat of your Brompton. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry, spanner. Form's a bit off, need to do some bile-building excercises. The England/Algeria result made me laugh too much and put me in a good mood.

Just don't bring molgrips with you, he really frightens me. 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'm sort of with Mr Woppit- I don't really follow football, but it strikes me when World Cups roll around that there's a sort of sense of entitlement about England's progression, and an expectation that they'll naturally beat countries like the USA and Algeria because, well, it's England, and they won it in 1966. It all seems to fly in the face of the evidence to me, but as I said I don't really follow it so what do I know?

romster
    Free Member

an expectation that they'll naturally beat countries like the USA and Algeria because, well, it's England, and they won it in 1966

Surely you don't believe that?

The expectation for this world cup comes from these players winning the biggest domestic competitions in the world, over 900 England caps between them, and they actually on "paper" are/were up there with Spain, Argentina, etc as favourites to lift the trophy.

There is no doubt the England side have underperformed, so to be honest whether you know **** all about football (Mr Woppit) or know a bit (Mr Salmon) they deserve everything that's thrown at them imo.

People have left families behind & spent £1000's following them around, and they just haven't delivered.

Simples!

RustySpanner

Look, it's taken us a century to get over the fact that we're no longer an Empire.

It's going to take at least as long to appreciate that Johnny Foreigner can now play football as well as we can.

As for your schadenfreude Woppit, I hope a thousand God-bothering tambourine slappers visit you in the small hours & stick a bat up your nightshirt. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I hope so, I do enjoy a good slapper.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

so to be honest whether you know **** all about football (Mr Woppit) or know a bit (Mr Salmon)

Strange, he said the same thing as me. How come that means he knows "a bit" but I know "**** all"?

Evidence of an average football soccer fan being short on logic, as well as a vocabulary…

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

2 world wars
    1 world cup

the last one was still 44 years ago

get with the scoreboard.

Patriotic but pessimistic

MrSalmon
    Free Member

an expectation that they'll naturally beat countries like the USA and Algeria because, well, it's England, and they won it in 1966

Surely you don't believe that?

The expectation for this world cup comes from these players winning the biggest domestic competitions in the world, over 900 England caps between them, and they actually on "paper" are/were up there with Spain, Argentina, etc as favourites to lift the trophy.

There is no doubt the England side have underperformed, so to be honest whether you know **** all about football (Mr Woppit) or know a bit (Mr Salmon) they deserve everything that's thrown at them imo.

Well, I sort of do, because all I'm going on is World Cup performances, and as far as I can see pretty much the same thing happens every time. Then the explanation seems to be that England have underperformed, whereas to the casual observer (me) it seems they've actually performed pretty much exactly as you'd expect.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"The Sun" is England's most popular daily read… 😉

…not suggesting that your average soccer fans could have their expectations manipulated in any way, you understand.

romster
    Free Member

How come that means he knows "a bit" but I know "**** all"?

Erm….

Well, I sort of do, because all I'm going on is World Cup performances

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Me too, that's why I *said the same thing*. Erm…

romster
    Free Member

Cameroon have just scored Mr Woppit, touch downnnnn!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That's nice for you.

crikey
    Free Member

I don't care about anything in this thread, but its always amusing when Woppit gets sand in his vagina.

RustySpanner

1 all!

Not a bad game, all in all.

Nothing else from Mr W, either he's gone off for a slap or he's enjoying the match.

Jamie
    Free Member

davidtaylforth:

The typical soccer fan only has a small vocab, so they tend to use 'playground' insults alot

Nice generalisation there….erm…poohead!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

poohead!

Quite sophisticated for you 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sorry spanner, I tried…

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:

Quite sophisticated for you

It took some preparation….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Silly nonsense.’ is closed to new replies.