Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Silly Commuter Racing – Beaten by an e-bike
  • Daffy

…oh the shame of it 🙁

We were doing over 24mph on the flat and he was still pulling away from me.

After 8 miles he had a good 500m on me.

Ass demonstrably handed to me – more training required…but for now, a rest.

tthew

Sorry, e-assistance stops at 15mpn, so you were beaten by a bloke on a 50lb shopping bike. 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

I was probably overtaken by a motorbike at some point too.

Ben_H

I had the same thing going on earlier this week.

I managed to keep up with an e-bike on my million kg Surly Ogre commuter (Ogre by name; Ogre by nature), on a 5-mile series of uphills.

A bit less impressive than the OP, as I expect it was limited to 15mph – but I was well-chuffed and could have gotten past in places. 🙂

Daffy

tthew – Member
    Sorry, e-assistance stops at 15mpn, so you were beaten by a bloke on a 50lb shopping bike.

😥

Dibbs
    Free Member

A bike shop I use in North Devon sometimes, has an unrestricted Ebike that’ll do 30ish, alegedly. 😕

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was probably overtaken by a motorbike at some point too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

🙄

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve been behind an ebike on the bristol-bath cycle track and he was doing 20mph+

toby1

Sorry, e-assistance stops at 15mpn, so you were beaten by a bloke on a 50lb shopping bike.

Tell that the guy barely pedalling on a Cannondale on the Guided busway in Cambridge, I’ve tailed him for a short period at about 28mph before, trust me he was not generating any of that pace himself!

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Had similar once, this was definitely de-resticted the way it was accelerating over 20mph.

martinhutch

Anyone who gets upset at being dropped by a derestricted ebike is going to have a lot of unhappy commutes in future.

There is a special place in hell reserved for the bloke who breezed past me on the climb up to Middlesmoor and told me to put a bit more effort in, though. 😀

mcj78
    Free Member

Yeah, I sometimes get overtaken by some **** weaving in & out of pedestrians on a shared cyclepath doing 20+ without turning a pedal… wears a full face motorbike helmet, only a matter of time before he takes someone (or himself hopefully) out 😕

Daffy

trickydisco – Member
    I’ve been behind an ebike on the bristol-bath cycle track and he was doing 20mph+

The last 4 miles of our “race” was on the BBRP.

tjagain

if its got electric power above 16 mph it is not an e bike. Its just illegal ‘cos it does not meet any regs for road use

disco_stu
    Free Member

I spotted an ebike that was on the opposite towpath to me this morning though going in the same direction, neither he or I were going particularly fast but he didn’t seem to be pedalling at all – I thought you had to pedal to get the assist from the electric motor?

munrobiker
    Free Member

if its got electric power above 16 mph it is not an e bike. Its just illegal ‘cos it does not meet any regs for road use

Ah, so this week it’s your turn to say that to the numpties til you’re blue in the face.

They’ll not get it, you know? They’ll remain willfully ignorant for all eternity, crying that it’ll reduce our access rights (it won’t, most mountain bikers go well over 15mph on a decent descent as it is and that’s not doing us any harm), they’ll crash into people (they won’t anymore than we do now, because they won’t be any faster downhill), there’ll be a power race (there won’t be, because of the law), that the users are lazy (they aren’t, it’s still exercise, it’s still hard work, particularly for most of the target market), that you don’t deserve one unless you’re disabled (why not?) and that they’ll feel wronged when they get overtaken by one (which they will, because they’re idiots).

tomhoward

Ah, so this week it’s your turn to say that to the numpties til you’re blue in the face.
    They’ll not get it, you know? They’ll remain willfully ignorant for all eternity, crying that it’ll reduce our access rights (it won’t, most mountain bikers go well over 15mph on a decent descent as it is and that’s not doing us any harm), they’ll crash into people (they won’t anymore than we do now, because they won’t be any faster downhill), there’ll be a power race (there won’t be, because of the law), that the users are lazy (they aren’t, it’s still exercise, it’s still hard work, particularly for most of the target market), that you don’t deserve one unless you’re disabled (why not?) and that they’ll feel wronged when they get overtaken by one (which they will, because they’re idiots).

Phew, I was getting bored of it…

tjagain

disco Stu – it was allowed under older regs IIRC – but its still 16 mph and 250 w

munrobiker
    Free Member

Phew, I was getting bored of it…

It’s the new EU referendum and boltonjon is the new jambalaya.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A bike shop I use in North Devon sometimes, has an unrestricted Ebike that’ll do 30ish, alegedly.

Sounds like the same place my friend got his 🙂

It’s not a difficult thing to do, and most ebike riders I know of have got it done. Allegedly.

Even with strong legs it’s quite hard to keep up with weak legs + 250 motor watts. Doing the maths, strong legs ~350 watts threshold, weak legs ~200 watts threshold. Weak legs are still 100 watts up which more than makes up for any ebike weight penalty.

twisty

I suspect this was illegal street racing though.

marrv
    Free Member

A few cropping up on my commute also.
    One guy to put it bluntly is enormous and has two panniers stuffed full.
    The bikes nearly carving a groove in the path it looks so heavy.
    Yet with his toes sticking out in his sandals, pedaling with his heels at a cadence of 2rpm. He still churns out 16mph up a nasty little climb.
    1st time I saw him I sat behind him not getting it and had a panic. then saw the big grey thing with Bosch written on it….phew.
    Good luck to the guy. I always give him a thumbs up.

Daffy

They’re going to need to revise the rules for Silly Commuter Racing – ebikes have the lowest Food Chain Number – based on my experience this morning, they should be at the top with scooters.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought you had to pedal to get the assist from the electric motor?

I think a throttle rather than pedal assistence is still allowed if you fit a conversion kit to an existing bicycle.

kerley
    Free Member

Ah, but those of us who “don’t get it” are referring to legal eBikes. Guess you don’t get that….

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m off out on my e-cargo bike to bait commuters*

*Not true just heading out to drop off a step ladder a nail gun and a bag of beer bottles to be recycled. Journeys that would instill fear at this time on a Friday in Aberdeen

funkmasterp

I get overtaken by an older lady on an ebike most days. Fair play to her, she’s getting out and about and fitter to boot. Saw her out on a Saturday a few weeks ago and blasted past her down a big hill, on the road, riding my Trans am. Do I win something? 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Here’s your answer https://www.badassebikes.com/en/

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ah, but those of us who “don’t get it” are referring to legal eBikes. Guess you don’t get that….

I think there’s a misunderstanding here, I am pro ebike, and a little stw stalking suggests you are too. I was just parodying all the thick skulled folk who still insist that “if it has pedal assistance it’s a motorbike” and “it’s not real cycling”.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’m not getting this. One of the “fun” games when commuting used to be chasing mopeds. Is this not more fun thanks to the lack of fumes?

shermer75
    Free Member

So, question: does a normal, restricted, legal e-bike cut out all power assist at 16mph? I thought that they got an extra 150w or whatever added to their pedal stroke whatever speed they were doing?

Alphabet

So, question: does a normal, restricted, legal e-bike cut out all power assist at 16mph

Yes it completely cuts out. So then it’s all down to the rider.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Be interesting to do a quick straw poll of those who’s ebikes are primarily for the road as to whether they have de-restricted them?

Having ridden with a few ebikes now the benefit is definitely on the hills, they just don’t seem to slow down! The chasing ebike game is kind of fun, reel them in on the flats then watch them disappear on the hills as your speed drops below about 15mph, and repeat.

Am a fan of ebikes though, gets more people out on bikes more often 🙂

psycorp
    Free Member

I think there’s a misunderstanding here, I am pro ebike, and a little stw stalking suggests you are too. I was just parodying all the thick skulled folk who still insist that “if it has pedal assistance it’s a motorbike” and “it’s not real cycling”.

That’s your opinion and those who disagree are not necessarily “thick skulled”.

Those who belittle the opinions of others just because they are different from their own may be though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haterz gonna hate. – although even i hate the wiring at the moment. Its more a proof of concept i will be shortening all the wires and internally routing them through the bag etc once im happy with it.

Limited to 15.5MPH 100% for road use and frankly this is more than enough – its already faster than people expect it to be so much so that on its first ride into town i was nearly left hooked. So i can see the reasons for the 15.5 MPH speedlimit as thats about the absolute max of what people in boxes expect “heavier” looking bikes to do.

Great fun , Built because building things is what i do but mostly because i wanted to do more utility- its great being a cyclist but for convenience of not putting on cycling clothes and getting sweaty i still jump in the car for the shopping/going to friends in town etc. This allows you to do 15.5MPH up hill and down dale without getting sweaty so you dont arrive smelling and requiring shower but still allows you to work on the flat as the assistance is proportional to your effort. I did 47miles last night between other cyclists friends houses – 1 of them a serious opposition against this project. EVEN he had to admit after i gave him a shot its not a “motorbike” it does just assist. and more so to prove that it makes you work …. 47 miles used 1/5th of the battery. theoretical range if it was used as a(very slow) motorbike is 50 miles.

Technology is moving fast and i really do see a huge market for these in the future if it keeps up the current development curve Formula E and the IOM E TT have made a huge impact on how much development goes into battery and motor tech !

kerley
    Free Member

Oops, missed that – sorry. I am not really pro ebike, I just don’t see what the problem is and don’t understand the hatred. Can’t see myself getting one in the next 20 years but had a go on my father in laws and can see the appeal for commuting / general cycling where getting from A- B is the goal (I don’t use a bike just to get from A-B).

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Silly Commuter Racing – Beaten by an e-bike’ is closed to new replies.