Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Silliest thing you've carried on a bike?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I rode from the carpark to the hotel today towing my wheelie luggage. Fun, I don’t think those little wheels were meant to go that fast 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

A mate rode to the bike shop then rode home with his new bike…over his shoulder.

wombat

Me 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

A 5ft Christmas Tree, Mop, Brush and Vacuum Cleaner. I did have a trailer though

oxym0r0n

A large roll of curtain fabric + liner balanced on the handlebars and under the arm

noteeth
    Free Member

A ****-off massive casserole pot, whilst riding a BMX cruiser up Park Street, Bristol.

Good training, but stupid looking.

trail_rat
    Free Member

a giant cardboard box for posting a bike …

a large box containing a toaster

a car wheel on the handlebars

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

27 m of copper pipe – 9 x 3m lengths tied to the crossbar

On another occasion 5 (IIRC) rolls of loft insulation

12 m of 3×2 – again in 3 m lengths ties to the crossbar

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

a large gold coloured swiss ball…made many people smile

kimbers

i bought a broom on the commute home one day

stashed it in the bottom of my rucksack so i had teh handle poking out like a big antenna

was very careful at first by teh time i was nearly home totally forgot it was there and rode under a bus shelter at a fair clip – the noise it made scared the crap out of me and snapped the handle 😳

Karinofnine

A dead deer.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

was it on here that someone posted a video of themselves last winter of them going up a hill on their bike with a snowboard strapped to their back, then they went down the hill on their snowboard with their bike strapped to their back. i was well impressed with that!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Seen lot’s of this style thing in Uganda

robinbetts
    Free Member

I have quite a list (not at the same time)!

1) a 25kg sack of tile adhesive on a rear rack.
    2) a 15 litre tub of pre mixed tile adhesive on the crossbar.
    3) 3 lengths of boiler flue pipe under the arm.
    4) large quantity of fishing kit, rods on crossbar, everything else trailing behind.

robinbetts
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Kbrembo, is that a coffin?

I once carried a large suitcase sideways across the top tube with my arms (just) reaching over it. I had to ride about 5 miles like that too, was distinctly uncomfortable.

I’m sure I’ve also told you about the time many years ago when we were doing a Polaris. My mate had a puncture and we were desperately sprinting for the line, so I gave him a backie with his bike across his back for the last half mile or so.

aracer
    Free Member

A kayak paddle – was a regular trip for a while.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

“Kbrembo, is that a coffin?”

Yes

Unfortunately Uganda/Kampala has a roaring trade in Coffins and there are litreally ‘coffin shops/shacks” all over the place….

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Full matchfishing kit. Rod holdall, seatbox, nets and all the other nonsense that went with it. Was a regular trip along the A75.

crezzy

An air rifle ,used to take it farm with me to shot vermin ,was glad when I passed my test ,also ride back once with 55lb bag of spuds

Edric64
    Free Member

The missus on a tandem as she did sod all work!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I also bought two sets of pads for a car and two discs, and carried them home in my courier bag. F*** me that was hard work!

Burts
    Free Member

A kayak paddle – was a regular trip for a while

Same. Strapped it to the top tube with about a foot sticking out above the front wheel. Occasionally got it caught with the wheel/cabling for comedy effect.

And speaking of Uganda, I’ve been the awkward thing carried on the back of a bike (ok, a scooter). Definitely the scariest thing about the kayaking the Nile:

mamadirt
    Free Member

Several boxed bike frames (before Parcelforce did collections 🙄 ), a garden fork, and probably the heaviest . . . 3 rather large bike locks when returning to work after the summer holiday – one of a group of school kids at the bus stop shouted ‘you’re holding up the traffic love’ . . . I was soo tempted to stop and drop my rucksack on her feet 👿

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I worked on the white Nile years ago before it came real popular.

What an awsome River.. loved it!

Done that trip from Jinja a few times on the back of the scooter!

jemima
    Free Member

Pedalling in snowboard boots, wearing full snowboarding kit, whilst carrying snowboard on back isn’t easy…

sharki
    Free Member

A shotgun, half a dozen rabbits and two rooks.

4 sheep skulls and a badger skull and spine.

yunki
    Free Member

In my wayward teens I remember pootling along the A30 at 3am with a couple of mates.. each of our bikes laden with enough carp fishing gear for a weekends fishing.. plus food and beer..

(if you know anything about carp anglers you will know that this is a LOT of kit..)

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I forgot one:

Aged about 15 me and three mates had to bring a moped back from his Gran’s house about 5 miles away. Fine, except it wasn’t going. So we tied ropes on the front and towed it behind our bikes. Of course someone had to steer it, so it was like some kind of perverse chariot thing. Bloody funny, but extremely hard work!

Pieface

A Wii balance board.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This may be cheating. 🙂

crocodilian
    Free Member

A bass guitar.

molgrips
    Free Member

Big Dummy only wins if he can find a picture of someone sitting in the chair whilst he’s riding along.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

As a courier, Jeff Brazier’s audition reels. Weighed a ton for something so devoid of content.

mitre
    Free Member

A mini cyclinder head on the back rack and the valves swinging in a carrier bag on the handlebars…… it was a bit wobbly!

phiiiiil

Two unicycles.

noteeth
    Free Member

That Big Dummy/chair combo is nothing less than a chariot for a returning hero, upon whom the Freedom of the City will be bestowed by grateful citizenry.

In other words, welcome back BD! 😀

stever
    Free Member

An 8′ shelf sounds a bit rubbish now. It was a little bit windy.

SidewaysTim

A full can of petrol back from the filling station to my car which had run out on the A56, 5 litres is bloody heavy in one hand for about 6 miles.

Saw a guy riding through Northwich yesterday carrying a Dyson up a hill on his road bike.

sweepy
    Free Member

On seperate occasions, A campervan battery, a set of stepladders, and a cat, in travelbox tied to my back like a rucksack.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Silliest thing you've carried on a bike?’ is closed to new replies.