Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Silky Folding Saws
  • Kahurangi

We’re going to get the Bro-in-Law one of these for his birthday –

http://www.silkysaws.com/
    http://treetools.co.nz/brands-1/silky/silky-folding-saws

apparently they’re the mutt’s nuts for making quick progress through treefall (of which there is lots in Cantebury this spring).

Has anyone used there before and able to recommend a length and tooth density/size?

Cheers!

st

Silkys are brilliant, I’ve got a couple and we have them in our tool shed for our trail building group too.

Size and model obviously depends in intended usage. I’ve got a folding Pocket Boy which I keep in my Camelback, its the 130 which is a bit short and if I buy another it’ll be the 170 or longer. I also have A Gomtaro in the rucksack that I take trail building http://www.buxtons.net/silky-gomtaro-saw-300mm.ir?cName=arborist-pruning-equipment-silky-handsaws

Kahurangi

depends on intended usage

folding for the riding backpack for trail fairy duties.

I reckon we’d look at 200 mm as a minimum, maybe 300 or is that too big (and unstable)???

kiwijohn

I’ve got a Bahco 396-JT folding saw in my camel bak. 190mm blade. Perfect for trail work & not too expensive , but not cheap shit.

z1ppy

Gomtaro, great saw, I found folders weren’t big enough to do the stuff I wanted…

Silky Fox Gomtaro 240mm by z1ppy2, on Flickr

Lives in my pack fulltime

In the pack by z1ppy2, on Flickr

kaboom
    Free Member

They are the best handsaws you will buy. You pay for the name, but as a tree surgeon they are only handsaw that we use.

For a longer one, look at Silky SUPER ACCEL 210 ( LG Teeth ). We tend to use the none folding, but I have one in my trail bag.

I would add that they are sharp and make short work of hands!

grum
    Free Member

Bahco Laplander here – very happy with it. Good size for taking out in a backpack and great around the garden too.

Not sure of the size/teeth though.

Kahurangi

Thanks all, I’ll take the advice on board.

pomona
    Free Member

Assuming you’re in NZ based on the link in your first post…

Get it from Trailfund, that way you get to give something back to helping trail development and maintenance nationwide.

Trailfund

AlexSimon

Mine is the F180 – absolutely superb for a portable/packable option.

I’ve even taken it out on rides and canoe trips for path clearing.

I guess you just need to balance length vs portability.
    The Gomtaro would be a nice step up from mine.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Ive had many years of trail service from my bacho laplander (until i tried to get a replacement blade) and i found i could buy a New saw for the price they were asking for a blade! Not happy about that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Silky Folding Saws’ is closed to new replies.