Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • silicone spray on shoes
  • andybrad

Ok so my 510s are soaked again and i was thinking of some kind of waterproofer? Ive tried nikwax before and it didnt do much so i was wondering if anyone has tried spraying them in either tent proofer or a silicone spray like the muc off stuff?

one way to ruin shoes?

nemesis
    Free Member

x2 🙂

Sprays, etc will never stop shoes like 510s getting wet, it’ll only, at best, delay it a little while.

ndthornton
    Free Member

silicone spray on shoes

There’s an idea – shoes in a can!

andyl
    Free Member

I guess something like a scotchgaurd spray might help but water will probably still find a way in through the top or any large gaps. Take a look at the hydrophobic sand videos on yourtube. It will wear off quickly where anything rubs on your shoe though.

I probably wouldnt go with silicone. Okay for impermeable surfaces but you will just end up with horrible greasy shoes.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If you believe the hype:

Rust-Oleum’s NeverWet repels water… and mud!

[video]http://youtu.be/DZrjXSsfxMQ[/video]

andybrad

Something like the neverwet but a) cheaper and b) doesn’t run your kit.

Im happy for my feet to get wet but its the drying time thats an issue. Im wondering if by spraying them in some silicone spray it might stop them wetting out? At least thats what i would like.

nemesis
    Free Member

Get some ski boot warmers – they dry shoes very effectively without causing them to crack.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

that’s not much of a test of the toilet brush…

nedrapier

What hydrophobic shoe coating for the weekend?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPAw3McLayc[/video]

nach
    Free Member

Neverwet apparently scuffs off really easily. There are a lot of disappointed reviews out there from people who found it only lasted a for few minutes on anything they had to touch.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a ski boot dryer thing, it’s great.

Other than that, either live with wet 5.10’s, or just clip in over the winter and use northwave boots.

Milkie
    Free Member

ScotchGuard, just as good as Neverwet. Not that I’ve used NW, but i stepped in some mud my shoe was covered and nothing stuck.. ScotchGuard is good!

5/10’s take weeks to dry out, but a different shoe. 😉

dooge
    Free Member

What about just sticking newspaper in them and putting them somewhere warm?

matt_outandabout

Get some proper outdoor shoes with a membrane, not some daft marketed outdoor shoes ‘because the sole is grippier’ and BNG.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nikwax do fabric shoe proofer afaik, as well as leather/suede proofer.

faustus

You’re never going to make summer shoes winterproof unfortunately. I wear sealskinz knee-length waterproof socks, and get used to drying the shoes out regularly…

ransos
    Free Member

Nikwax do fabric shoe proofer afaik, as well as leather/suede proofer.

Which failed to work at all on my winter boots. I might try Fabsil tent proofer next.

andybrad

yea i was thinking fabsil, nikwax didnt work that well.

i use sealskins and its fine but im wanting to try and prevent them wetting out.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’m “Neverwet”ing an old pair of 5:10’s at the moment. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

we’ve got some silicone shoe waterproofing spray and it specifically says on the can dont get on plastic or rubber. Which rules out 95% of our cycling shoes.. Ive used nikwax and other branded and more sophisticated spray-ons and they repel surface water, but if you get a shoe immersed (as in big puddle splash not standing in a river, and especially a 5.10) it will saturate.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘silicone spray on shoes’ is closed to new replies.