Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Silca SuperPista – worth it?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a Rennkompressor for years until i left it behind on a holiday. Had to get a replacement in a hurry and ended up with a cheap Specialized one as that was all the LBS had and it’s rubbish.

Was just going to get another Rennkompressor but am tempted by the SuperPista. Pump for life? Is any floor pump really worth 180 quid?

Thanks

karlp
    Free Member

No re £180 for a bike pump.
    Your last pump was ‘a pump for life’ which you no longer have.
    Stick with another Rennkompressor.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is any floor pump really worth 180 quid?

No, but if you want one then buy one. Personally I wouldn’t, lovely though it is.

Are you a team mechanic?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Silca. Not sure which model. Got it 3 or 4 years ago, to replace an SKS. Paid less than £100 for it.

To be honest I don’t really rate it.
    The gauge is hit and miss.
    The tube has pretty much worn through, just from slotting it in and out of the tube holder slot. I’m not a heavy user, just at home etc.
    The screw on thing to go on the tyre valve has the habit of bending presta valve pins.
    It’s not particularly stable.
    Connecting the pump side connector to the valve side connector is not that easy. Brake disks get in the way, esp on smaller wheels.

Wouldn’t get another one, though not looking for a replacement while it still limps along.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Suspect I’ll probably save myself 140 quid and go for another Rennkompressor.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I spent £9 on a tescos track pump. I’ve had it for 7 years, possibly longer. Its works as well as it did when I got it. The pressure gauge is a little vague, but thats fine, I prefer to set my tyre pressures by feel, always have.
    Please explain how spending an extra £171 improves upon this?

Gary_M
    Free Member

How much was your bike 🙂

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Got Silca. Looks nice, doesn’t perform 2x better than my other 2x cheaper pump.

Simply put, don’t bother.

Buy yourself JoeBlow Booster.

Very good pump with added tubeless inflator if you want to spend more.
    Cheers!
    I.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Should add this is for tubed road, so presta only required.

Already got a coke bottle for the tubeless seating 🙂

Don’t like the Topeak pump heads much either.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If he was, he’d be using either a repainted and stickered Rennkompressor, possibly with a new head (Hirame seem to be popular) or a compressor…………

I’d get another Rennkompressor.

onandon
    Free Member

The Silca hand pumps are fantastic but I’d not got for one of their floor pumps because the Rennkompressor exists.

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got a silca super pista ultimate sitting in a box…don’t ask. It’s a lovely thing but tbh it’s a show pony. My flood sale topeak keeps on doing its thing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Right, another Rennkompressor it is then. Is the EVA head any good or go for the MV one? I’d rather get the push on one but can’t seem to find any.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Use an old brass head like the Silcas of old used.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use an old brass head like the Silcas of old used.

A Rennkompressor with a Silca 17-4 head might be perfect.

jkomo

I got the SKS Renn with a push on head, but I don’t like it- it doesn’t seem to hold on to the valve properly.
    What would be a better valve head?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

How much was your bike
    The frame was zero. The components sourced from the classifieds over the years. 😆

kilo

Hirame head on a rennkompressor, best road pump combo ever

TiRed

Got a Ren with topeak smarthead. If you must pay more, buy the anniversary model. I left my original brass chucked Silca behind in a move. Replaced it with a topeak that lasted a few years. The Ren is for life.

mrblobby
    Free Member

jkomo, what you need to read is a pump head shootout! 🙂

Going to try the Silca 17-4 here.

onandon
    Free Member

Same as TiRed. Ren and Topeak smart head.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well went for another Rennkompressor. The MV head actually seems to work quite well too. I’m still not a big fan of the gauge, be nice if they did some options here, maybe a clearer one for more accurate pressures around the 100psi mark.

jkomo

Yeah, I find the gauge hard to read as it goes to 230psi!
    I noticed today Ribble doing for £35 when I was looking for a different head.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, I find the gauge hard to read as it goes to 230psi!

Is a bit crazy. They should probably have a track and road version. Anyone know if the gauge is replaceable with something a bit more sensible?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not quite done with this thread yet 🙂

Rennkompressor doing the job. Also got the Silca 17-4 head and put it on the old Spesh pump, binning the horrid head it came with. The Silca head is a big lump of metal and a joy to use so far. I’ll give it a couple of weeks of using both but I’ll probably swap them over, while I don’t dislike the SKS MV head the Silca is much more pleasing in use 🙂

slowster
    Free Member

Mrblobby, may I ask from whom you bought the 17-4 head, and how easy is to fit it? Presumably the head is not actually supplied with a miniture jubilee clip or similar fastening?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Slowster, I got it from Westbrook. Brought it with the schrader adapter that it screws into. The schrader adapter has a barb on it which fit the hose well enough without needing a clip so far. No clip supplied.

slowster
    Free Member

Thank you. I see the adapter and head cost more than the Rennkompressor itself, but even so it’s still a lot less than a Silca Super Pista pump.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Silca SuperPista – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.