Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • sigma 10-20 questions?
  • polarisandy
    Free Member

hello, just got one for a d90 and have a couple of q's if anyones got experience.

mine came in a box labelled f4-5.6 EX DC
    same for the instructions.

the lens is marked DC HSM though, no "EX"
    Also the lens has no AF/MAN switch as per the instruction manual.

What's this all about then? The D90 has a AF/MAN switch on the camera so not sure it matters.

The lens is marked 4-5.6 however the smallest f stop the camera indicates is f4.5?

WRT filters and polarizers in particular.
    My other lens, a Nikon 18-105 has a smaller diameter thread ring for a filter holder.
    I have a P series and a polarizer for that lens.

It looks like the 10-20 will need the larger z series ring/holder and polarizer to reduce vignetting.
    At £20+ for the ring, £55 for the holder and £250+for the polarizer this is getting silly…the lens was only £360.

What other options other than a screw on polarizers for the 10-20 are there, and what has anyone else done.

All advice appreciated.

Drac

My 10-20 does have EX but not written next to the other gubbins on the lens, it's for a Canon but does have the AF-MF switch. It came with a hood too but was second hand so may have been bought extra.

user-removed
    Free Member

I think there's two versions of this lens.

As for polarisers, just buy a Hoya screw in one, and watch out for vignetting (esp if you're using grads too) at the wide end.

EDIT: what are WRT filters? Wratten?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    polarisandy
    Free Member

Ah cheers Drac and UR, yes it does have a great big gold EX written elsewhere….
    And….reading the instructions a bit more carefully the pic of the cannon lens shows the switch, but for the nikon/pentax sony no switch.

As they say RTFM.

Will look at a screw on, however how would i use my square cokin GD filters with a screw on polarizer?

nbt

WRT – with respect to

Drac

F stop can't test as mine is broken but I'll try, filters yeah third party screw on ones are fine try 7dayshop.com

Drac

Tried it but as it's the zoom that's broke I can't get lower than 5 f stop.

Tomorrow I must send it off to Sigma as it's a brilliant lens.

simondbarnes

F4.0 here (eos 20d). I use a 77mm screw in polariser.

polarisandy
    Free Member

cheers all, will look at screw on and forget the GD filters for now i think.

user-removed
    Free Member

TBH, I would flog the Cokin P system, and get yourself a set of Cokin Z Pro square filters and a Lee holder (much better quality than the Cokin holders). You can pick up 3rd party rings for a lot less than the cost of Lee ones.

I did this a few years back and never looked back – I also had the P system and a slot-in polariser. The only hassle is getting a screw in polariser in the right position when you've got the filter holder screwed into the front of it. It is a fiddle but it can be done – the polarisers for the Z Pro system are crazy expensive, so I just put up with it.

Also, it's worth noting that polarisers on a 10-20mm can give uneven polarisation over the frame, purely down to the massive wide angle…

stumpy01

I've never used a lens that wide before (widest focal length I have is 18mm) but I thought that polarisers on such a wide angle were a no no as you get such variations in polarisation due to the angle of coverage.

Pretty much what user-removed just said…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Note the lens zooms the opposite way to Nikon zooms 🙁

jim
    Free Member

Note the lens zooms the opposite way to Nikon zooms

Really? Looks the same to me.

On a D50 mine goes down (up?) to f4 on the wide end. I use one of the old style screw on 77mm screw-on Nikon polarizers with the bigger front element which avoids any vignetting, but it doesn't have any front threads. While the variation in polarisation is noticeable at the wide end I don't find it too bad in general.

donald
    Free Member

The nikon vesion doesn't have a MF/AF switch – you can override the focus just by turning the focus ring.

I own a 77 mm circular polarising lens and have stop down adaptors so that I can use it on my other lenses. They adaptors cost pennies. The filter was about 50 quid.

I believe you can use P filters at 10mm but you may need to take a Stanley knife to the outside slot to stop it getting in the view. Haven't tried this myself though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘sigma 10-20 questions?’ is closed to new replies.