Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sightseeing in Greece
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Am off to Crete for a week in June for non-riding/sightseeing purposes and it seems foolish to go not to have a little potter around Greece whilst I’m there.

What to see? What to avoid? Delphi/Parthenon/Museum of Archeology are obvious “must dos”, but are there any less obvious gems that might not be so easy to find out about?

vickypea
    Free Member

There’s lots to see in Crete but if you want to go up to the mainland, bear in mind that it’s an all-day or all-night ferry crossing from Crete to Piraeus.
    On Crete itself is the Samaria Gorge and Knossos. You could take a ferry and visit a couple of other islands but if you’ve only got a week that could be tricky with ferry time tables.
    If you go up to Athens the Parthenon is a definite.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Samaria Gorge looks ace – ta.

Should have been more specific on the length of time available – a week on Crete (completely tied up) is the only commitment; having started looking at things I reckon I could be there for anywhere between another week and a month based on how much I like it.

creagbhan

Ancient Olympia if you can make it to the Peloponnese

DrJ

Have a watch of the recent Simon greaves shows on catch up. Some good ideas for places to visit.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ta. Appears to be waaay too much choice 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sightseeing in Greece’ is closed to new replies.