Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sigh…mobile car paint repair costs?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Just got home from having dinner out with friends and noticed some nice fresh scratches and paint transfer on the rear bumper of my estate when we pulled up behind it. They were not there earlier today and our new house mates car and see corresponding scratches to the corner of the front bumper…

Normally I would just polish out the worse and shrug it off as it’s only a car, especially after living in a city for the last 12 years (escaped now) as there was just no point stressing over the inevitable new scuffs that would magically appear on my other cars, but I’ve just had the front and rear resprayed 3 weeks ago so it was looking absolutely perfect with not a scratch 🙁

Anyone know roughly how much those mobile paint repair people charge? Not huge scratches and I think most of the marks are her paint but if it’s not going to cost me much I will go and get them sorted as I hate having scratches that look like I have done them.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I once drove into a plough in my Transporter van – funnily enough the plastic bumper came off worse than the plough did and ended up with a hole right through.

Chips Away came and repaired it (by inserting a mesh and then filling it) and colour matched it again for £180 which I thought was pretty great value.

_tom_
    Free Member

Chips Away are quite good. Had someone drive into me in a car park and chips away got the dent out and resprayed it for £300 (which the other guy paid for) 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I saw those guys at the supermarket the other day and did wonder. Seems to be mixed responses from googling.

Seems that it’s a mixed bag with some of the franchises as you can get a good guy or a not so good one. Will have to ask around, maybe try some of the dealers as I know they do have contracts with them for small things.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not huge scratches and I think most of the marks are her paint

Sounds like flatting and machine polishing would do the job pretty much.

Where are you ?

andyl
    Free Member

North Somerset

Just had a look and there is some paint/lacquer missing but not down to primer. Will get rid of all the paint that isn’t mine and see if I can be bothered spending money on it.

Not a word from her about it this morning 🙄

superdale
    Free Member

If you can live without the car for a couple of days take it to a bodyshop as they will do a better job and are usually quite cheap if you are paying cash or not having to deal with insurance companies. Mobile sprayers are more flexible & will come out to you at work or home but when they did my bosses car it was easily apparent where the respray was very flat no shine. After all they do it outside in unprotected conditions so I guess its a compromise for your convenience.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

As above.

My local bodyshop have a great reputation and top notch workmanship. A muppet put a scrape all the way down my wife’s car and that cost £120 to put right.

Why mobile?

andyl
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be mobile. Was more using the term for one these minor paint repair places as it doesnt seem worth getting the whole thing resprayed for a minor scratch on a part that will probably get scratched again. It’s dark silver so does hide blemishes well but I guess being metallic it’s going to be harder to get the right sparkle.

Although, after being stuck with a tiny courtesy car that was useless for work while it was getting done last time the convenience of someone coming to me and sorting it while I was working at home was appealing though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you spoken to the house mate about this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sigh…mobile car paint repair costs?’ is closed to new replies.