Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sigh… wrist tendonosis
  • 13thfloormonk

So in my usual way I’ve (tried) to leap back into riding after a lengthy spell off (a year or more). This, plus slightly more ‘mouse’ work in the office has, I think, resulted in wrist tendonosis which is proving very stubborn.

I’ve been using a brace, often couple with taping (dubious benefits I know) but it certainly doesn’t help on the bike.

Out on the road bike today and after an hour or so it was sore again, even with the brace.

None of the websites I noticed mentioned heat as a form of therapy, although they did mention eccentric exercise.

I’m dreading the inevitable months off the bike which may be the only solution, given that I’m only now getting faint glimmerings of my fitness back.

Anyone else had this?

(pain is on the opposite side of the wrist from the thumb, basically the underside if you were gripping a road STI lever)

bigjim

I’ve had this as I also use a mouse all day at work rather than the keyboard. Raise it as a H&S issue at work and get them to get you one of these http://evoluent.com/. I also learnt to use the mouse with my left hand, though that won’t work with that mouse, and alternate between left and right hands every couple of weeks.

Definitely worth nipping in the bud early if you can. Oh and my doctor said to not tell the H&S person at work about any out of work activities that could lead to RSI as they will instantly use that as a scapegoat to offload responsibility, this was very true with my work, who seemed to have great resistance to spend £50 on a mouse when just one day off work with RSI would lose them £600.

ampthill

Two things

Where I work people get offered a track ball which seems to help. Ask if you need a make etc. and all ask one of them

For my wrist Mary Bars helped allot. For me currently used on 2 bikes on and off road. But I might be OK on drops now. Also reach is a huge variable. You want elbows bent so that a bump can be absorbed by your arm bending not jolting against a straight elbow but I’m sure you know all that

Oh and to state the bleeding obvoius

If you can ride for 45 mins pain free then ride for 45 mins. To me that makes way more sense than pushing on until you can’t ride at all

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

I found a trackball worse, as you have to hold your arm and hand stationary with smaller lateral movements, ymmv

5thElefant
    Free Member

Keyboard on a drawer type thing at a lower level than the desk – arm rest height. Pre-emptive pain killers on the bike.

13thfloormonk

Thanks guys, I’m one step ahead with the ergo mouse, doesn’t seem to be helping but doesn’t seem to be making it worse at least. Don’t type a huge amount although use keyboard short cuts with my left hand.

Will check with a physio re: continuing short rides, not sure if riding on road/spin classes makes it worse, suspect the rigid/drop bar off road probably does!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What the hell have you done now?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sigh… wrist tendonosis’ is closed to new replies.