Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • *sigh* RP3 on Mount vision – what to do next?
  • roady_tony
    Free Member

Hi All,

After many many years of trusty service, my RP3 has given up the ghost again, and I am not keen on spending lots of money to get it repaired, (oil leak, propedal not working and the propedal lever is pretty slack, still hold air pressure though) at the LBS – can it be sent away to somewhere cheap?

What other option’s do i have? getting a newer/later version seems pretty expensive, consider i dont ride the bike much. Its the 3.5″ that came with the Mount Vision in ’06….would like to keep it quite XC’y…

thanks for any help.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The lbs would send it away anyway (unless the have some pressurised nitrogen to charge the shock).I think LoCo are the cheapest Mojo/Tf/Stendec are all £90ish.
    Thats just what it costs 😐

z1ppy

Cheap? Mtb suspension, nahhhh.

You can get a air can seal kit to do it yourself, which may cure the oil leak, but probably won’t cure you propedal issues. Also a ‘proper’ service will include re-pressurizing the nitrogeon charge, something it extremely doubtful your LBS will be able to do (IME even motorcycle shops with the proper kit don’t want to do this for you).

If there no wear marks on the shaft, then get it serviced, it’s a great shock. I’ve yet to be convinced that any other air shock is as good (new RS stuff looks good but no long term tests yet)

Loco and J-Tech are coming through as two cheaper options that the main players (TF Tuned/Mojo)

roady_tony
    Free Member

Great posts, and many thanks – the old girl is getting a few creaks and groans and now with the rear shock going….but, i just cannot bear to part with something ive ridden for so long so often – you know how it is – but pushing 100quid for a repair….sigh….
    I guess its going to have to be done!

If i found something with a similar stroke length, could i simply replace it?

z1ppy

yep 165mm i2i with 38mm stroke (mines in my loft as I can’t bear with giving it away for the price they go for nowadays), but obviously if you buy 2nd hand you’ve going to be in the same position

Ambrose

Try putting a Wanted ad in the Classifieds here.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/classifieds-wanted

roady_tony
    Free Member

For the price, would there be any issue just swapping it out for this Suntour Epicon one?

http://markscyclerepairs.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=148

I have never had any experience with these, but for 20quid more than a full service on my old RP3, seems like a better value option?

thanks

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yes. The issue would be it would be pants compared to a working fox.

z1ppy

SO +1

I’ve yet to be convinced that any other air shock is as good ..as a fox one

I’d spend the money servicing the one you’ve already got.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have you tried to give it a quick service – esp as oil is leaking? Prob wont alter the PP but prob solve the leaks unless the shock body is worn?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/fox-float-shock-service.htm

roady_tony
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions – for 10quid i might as well give the self-service a try !
    thankyou foxyrider!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘*sigh* RP3 on Mount vision – what to do next?’ is closed to new replies.