Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Sigh, OK. Tell me how to start a coal fire please!!
  • donsimon
    Free Member

munkster – Member

Is the coal wet or dry?

Really??

Based on the inability to do something as simple as lighting a fire, it seemed like a valid question. 😉

munkster
    Free Member

I’m concerned to read how upset Munkster is. I hope things are going better now.

Many thanks 😉

Things are sort of burning now but there’s a grand total of 4 lumps of coal on there trying in vain to stay alight so I’m not considering myself out of the woods just yet!

Biggest issues seems to be the coal ROLLING OFF whatever pyre I’ve constructed inside the fire, and also embers/kindling falling through the grate…

What a PITA – like I say though, it took me a while to “master” getting a wood fire going so I am not surprised this is testing my patience too.

munkster
    Free Member

Based on the inability to do something as simple as lighting a fire, it seemed like a valid question.

You’re not helping 👿 😉

iDave
    Free Member

I’d suggest the upside down fire method with a layer of coal on the bottom, but you’d all laugh and I’d get upset, but then you’d try it and know I was right after all …..

Ambrose

Munkster- I despair of you!

Go to the Science dept in work tommorrow and ask them to explain the fire triangle to you 😉

You need to provide a good through flow of oxygen
    You need to have a good supply of fuel, initially more than one type.
    You need heat to start the first fuel (paper) burning (reacting with the oxygen).

This provides hopefully sufficient heat to ignite the next fuel (wood) which being denser will burn in a more sustained way, thus igniting the third (the coal).

face-plant
    Free Member

light a wood fire and then add the coal once that’s burning well

munkster
    Free Member

Well, it’s going (and pretty hot). Clearly my “technique” needs to improve. I don’t think I can spare 2 hours to light a fire every time…

Thank you STW people for not judging me too harshly(!) One day I *will* be a man in your eyes and be able to light a fire by just clicking my fingers next to a match 🙄 😉

CountZero

Ambrose

pah- matches are for wimps!

Wot you need to do is rub two sticks together…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Some of you boys need to go back to Boy Scouts…

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Sigh, OK. Tell me how to start a coal fire please!!’ is closed to new replies.