Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Sigh. Lawnmowertrackworld.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Need a new one. Not a ride on, but pretty big cut, petrol and self propelled. Not interested in making pretty stripes, just a nice clean cut.

Mountfield? Or?

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve been told by several people in businesses that relate to shortening grass that the answer to any purchasing question about a domestic lawnmower is simply ‘Whatever Honda Izy suits your requirements’.
    More expensive than some, but indestructible, and hold their value incredibly well. Bloody love mine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I heard someone else is mowing your lawn Flashy….

perchypanther
    Free Member

*mumble, mumble…erm…. something about funny shoes….mumble, mumble*

thepurist

Well a nice flock of Herdwick or Suffolk would give you some of your requirements – ‘pretty big cut’, ‘self propelled’, ‘nice clean cut’,’not interested in making stripes’

THey fall down on the ‘petrol’ requirement though.

As for ‘ride on’, well that’s up to you 😯

Murray

Honda Izzy

fisha
    Free Member

Honda Izy. worth the extra money.

chief1409
    Free Member
    Markie
    Free Member

Honda Izy.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

we bought something from Stiga. 50s I think, petrol. does the job. I hate robotic lawnmowers and all they stand for 😀

petec
    Free Member

in the best manner of recommending what you have.

Viking. Made by Stihl.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Second hand Etesia or a new Izy.
    The Etesia is a real work horse and great pickup in the wet.
    I’ll be adding a new 21″ Izy to the collection next spring for dry faster cutting

glasgowdan
    Free Member

How much do you want to spend? I’ve tried most of them. I would go for a Honda, or other brand equivalent (lawnflite, danarm). Get a hi lift blade and clean the bag regularly and they’ll pick up and pack the bag in the wettest weather, though if it’s just your own garden then you may be someone who avoids the job in the rain.

Vikings and John Deeres have shaken themselves to bits. Etesias (I have had models from 46 up to the old 56… that was the most beastly of mowers I’ve ever had!) get a good reputation but not as good as the Honda machines in my opinion. Masport I refer to as Shitport.

infidel
    Free Member

I have a Toro timemaster. 50 inch deck self propelled walk behind type monster. Epic.

ruddy
    Free Member

Recommend what you have: makita plm5600.

Bought it last year, so two summers, and it’s be faultless.

Can mulch or collect.

windyg
    Free Member

I use a Viking for my business and it’s been great for the last 3 years and it has been hammered.
    Etesias are great, as above total beasts will mow anything just too heavy for me lifting in/out the van all the time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What would Alan Clark use? Something made by Atco or Ransommes.

dropoff

Surely you should be getting a man in ? Failing that something from Honda will take care of it for you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Much food for thought. Thanks.

wicki
    Free Member

The question is how big is the lawn? I was cutting my 5000 sqm for 2 years with a 53cm cut mower honda engine deck by some Italian company 5.5 housr each time …..looked into the Toro timemaster but could not find a dealer there is also a cub cadet which is very wide cut and gets better reviews than the Torro.

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/walk-behind-mowers/wide-area-walk-behinds/features

In the end i picked up a 107cm cut john deere for 450 euro, (bargain) the guy could not get it to run on the day, he had forgot it wont start with out engaging the park brake so i made him a silly offer and walked away grinning with my new green and yellow pride and joy 90 minutes to cut the grass 😆

joebristol

I quite like my lawnflite mower, it makes pretty stripes (I know not one of your requirements).

It’s got a Briggs and Stratton engine which is ok, but compared to the mountfield I had before (the deck rusted away but was already very second hand when I bought it for £20) it’s harder to start, and I don’t think it’s as strong when ploughing through grass that’s a bit longer than ideal.

So I think with a bigger budget I’d look at something with a Honda engine, and not with a metal deck. I paid about £350 for mine because I wanted one that had a roller on the back instead of wheels.

I went to a few shops before buying and one of the other mowers in the frame was a Haytor, and all the shops said they’re over priced and not what they were – so perhaps avoid that make.

Sandwich

Cheers Perchy, lots of targeted ads for some odd looking footwear on this page now!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

windyg – Member
    I use a Viking for my business and it’s been great for the last 3 years and it has been hammered.
    Etesias are great, as above total beasts will mow anything just too heavy for me lifting in/out the van all the time.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Please don’t lift mowers if you work with them all day!!!

Kryton57

The question is …

What trousers for lawn mowing? 😀

myti
    Free Member

Another vote for etesia here. Great for long, wet grass and fill up the box really well so you don’t have to empty too often or put the mulching insert in and no collecting required.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Plain old Mountfield here with a 150cc 4 stroke engine. I cut some longish & very wet grass the other day (last cut this year I hope) Did what it said on the tin, cut grass with ease & no mess.
    I do need to push it though, (I don’t want to be so infirm that I can’t) 😉

tdog
    Free Member

Depends where you’re based op, but I have a mountfield spare that I have now no use for that’s been serviced and maintained regularly which I’ll be selling soon.
    It has the bar for self propel mode and is a no nonsense ex display model purchased from the Mountfield reps.

timber

Friend that does a fair bit of lawn cutting rates Rover mowers quite highly for their ability to cope with wet grass.

Some monstrously heavy Lawnflite at work that you have to jog behind at full speed. Not much heavier and easier is the Etesia ride-on. Easy to guess which gets the most use.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Whatever Honda Izy suits your requirements

Yep, it’s true. Love my little Izy.

Houns

I can advise not to get a Viking. Awful to use, collection box is a pain to empty, engine floods all too easily. Using my Mountfield is a joy in comparison

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Sigh. Lawnmowertrackworld.’ is closed to new replies.