Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Sigh. iMac then…
  • the-muffin-man

so lets see what black friday brings!

Probably nothing on the Apple store! Look at these Apple sellers instead (both are very good)…

https://www.krcs.co.uk/
    http://www.jigsaw24.com/

jambalaya
    Free Member

To put it in perspective, this is like debating if you want the AMG Merc or the M5 for the school run.

or the RS4 to get to Gorrick races 8)

OP yup agreed. Get the 1tb fusion you can decide on a trackpad later, ditto keyboard (slightly more to buy seperately). Then you can see how you are using the machine and whether for example you want to add media streaming to tv.

Lastly hopefully you are not dissapointed by lack of a Black Friday deal

andy8442
    Free Member

The SSD makes it a fantastically fast machine for the everyday stuff you will use it for.

mcj78
    Free Member

Sorry for the mild derailment – i’m looking at one of the 21.5″ models for the house, would only be used for email / web / photo type shenanigans, although the missus is a graphic designer so it might be called on for some photoshop / design type stuff (nothing too heavy) – at that screen size is it worth deviating much from the base spec? If we went up to the 4k one it’s only another couple of hundred clams again for the 27″ which has a better spec in addition to the screen… although of course it’s still a £600 jump from the base spec…

Cheers
    J

molgrips
    Free Member

You realise that would actually be a serious question for the OP?

I stand corrected 🙂

The way computers go (particularly Macs possibly), is that as the years go by the operating systems become more process hungry, as do the apps.

That used to be the case, but in Windows land after Vista the trend reversed. 7 was lighter than Vista, and now 10 is very light indeed. That’s why those cheap little ‘social’ PCs are out now that only come with 32Gb of storage and cost £150. Unthinkable 10 years ago.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Sorry for the mild derailment – i’m looking at one of the 21.5″ models for the house, would only be used for email / web / photo type shenanigans, although the missus is a graphic designer so it might be called on for some photoshop / design type stuff (nothing too heavy) – at that screen size is it worth deviating much from the base spec? If we went up to the 4k one it’s only another couple of hundred clams again for the 27″ which has a better spec in addition to the screen… although of course it’s still a £600 jump from the base spec…

I found it hard to convince myself that the 21.5″ was worth it. I have the 21.5″ from 2011, and have no issues with the physical screen size, so that’s not the issue. But when looking at the 2016 models, by the time I configured it with a hybrid drive (and I wanted the 2TB fusion) it was in the 27″ territory price-wise. And like I’ve mentioned a couple of times, you really do want some element of SSD in it, whether that be a straight SSD drive or a fusion/hybrid drive.

wilburt
    Free Member

Having just put a boggo 1tb drive in mine I do with people would stop extolling the virtues of SSHD. There bike parts to buy as well you know!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The SSD makes it a fantastically fast machine for the everyday stuff you will use it for.

As I said startup from cold (shutdown) is 30-40 seconds vs 2-3 minutes and if you sleep the machine there is no difference. App startup is 5 seconds vs maybe 20 or so, no difference if you leave common apps running in the background, eg mail, safari, photo. When I put an HDD into my machine in 2012 it was because 750 hdd was £60 and 500 ssd was £200+, hdd runs fine. Now today a 500 ssd is onky £110 so I would forgoe the internal storage and put films on an external.

@mjc I would stretch to the base 27, really is worth it vs base 21.5 and you can add ram cheaply in the future vs being locked in with soldered ram on cheaper smaller machine. Extra screen size is great and quality is fabulous.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Fusion Drive makes a big difference. Well worth the upcharge (question – does it also effectively improve the memory as your swap is into SSD?)

I disagree with the keyboard advice above – I’ve had both full size, trackpads and mice.

My favoured option is the wireless keyboard and trackpad – far more ergonomic if you don’t have to reach so far to the right. I found my mouse a couple of weeks back and it’s been sitting on the desk but it never gets used.

They’re a horridly uncomfortable to use anyway – if you do need a mouse et a Logitech or Microsoft.

Alex

Having had 5400 rpm drive and SSD drive, I beg to differ in terms of performance. The SSD definitely makes a difference in app performance especially if you’re paging to disk.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’re paying nearly £2k for a machine and

It’ll be used for typical family stuff, homework, googling and photo storage

That could buy a lot of sunglasses to match whatever latest expensive consumer purchase you need to tell us about 🙂

You’re definitely searching for something to fill a void.

mcj78
    Free Member

I suppose I knew what was coming, “the base model will be perfectly fine” said no person ever in the history of stw 😆

fanatic278
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but it’s funny what justifications I give to myself for spending money on stuff I don’t truly need. I can see it in my own posts above. I’m happy to spend £2k on a computer that spends most of its time looking at Facebook, but when it comes to spending money on a car it required a crowbar to prise £20k out of my hands for the wife’s new Galaxy. Prior to that I was firmly in the <£6k category for cars. And the car gets a lot more use than the computer.

Go figure…

Gary_M
    Free Member

it’s funny what justifications I give to myself for spending money on stuff I don’t truly need. I can see it in my own posts above

I used to be like that, life is so much better when you buy stuff you want rather than buying stuff to impress friends when they come round for fna-fna cheese & fennel tart served on a bed of baby couscous and a side of Aegean sun ripened qua, drizzled with hoola berry juice. Oh look at that computer, oh look at the qua, it’s all so yum. I guess the older you get the less impressed you are by peoples clutter

fanatic278
    Free Member

(I’d still get the 2TB fusion drive though 🙂 )

molgrips
    Free Member

I googled fna-fna cheese.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Man, that`s like buying a Ferrari to do the school run.

Buy a windows laptop, and stick £1500 in the bank towards your next bike.

mcj78
    Free Member

molgrips
    I googled fna-fna cheese.

Post the first image that popped up 😉

Kryton57

Buy a windows laptop, and stick £1500 in the bank towards your next bike.

Read the OP you are dealing with Woman Logic. I’m just shopper in this process, the buyer’s sitting at home struggling to fill an Ocado basket using a 2011 Macbook.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I struggle with long waffle but:

if you can expand the RAM – do it yourself.

Buying RAM from apple is like paying for a nuclear reactor to be decommissioned – very very very expensive.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Read the OP you are dealing with Woman Logic. I’m just shopper in this process, the buyer’s sitting at home struggling to fill an Ocado basket using a 2011 Macbook.

Ok so buy it, then next time you want N+1 or just a really expensive N and she starts with “its just a bike” you have your argument right there.

Gary_M
    Free Member

the buyer’s sitting at home struggling to fill an Ocado basket using a 2011 Macbook.

Oh god no, t’ll be the fna-fna cheese.

And to be fair you seem to share a similar logic regarding possessions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Post the first image that popped up

😯

rs
    Free Member

can’t you just put an SSD in the 2011 macbook? $100… job done!

fanatic278
    Free Member

Yeah – what he^ said. Just put an SSD in your Macbook!

I hadn’t realised you already had a Mac. That changes everything!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got an SSD in an “early 2011”. MacBook that runs Sierra really well. Do that even if you do npbuy the iMac.

Kryton57

It doesnt have a big screen, its full to capacity, the battery doesn’t hold charge and is damaged. It might be even older than 2011 TBH. Its the silver one that came out after the original white ones.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Kryton57

To be fair our main machine will do more than I suggested, arty stuff, kids homework, I’ll work on MS docs on it when WFH that kind of thing.

On that note, is it possible to stick a work based OneDrive on it? That’d be ideal to keep stuff in sync with my work Windows LT…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sell the MBP to a hobbyist …. it must be older than 2011 as wife has 2012 MBP and they had been around a while in silver before then -> Apple Logo/About this Mac

Mac is generally good at reading windows format drives but it’s not faultless, easier to use Google Drive / Dropbox if you can access that from work

@mjc the base / original model Apple TV was fine, sadly they discontinued it 😐

Kryton57

Apple Logo/About this Mac

Oh, 13 inch Macbook 2008 running El Capitan

drlex
    Free Member

FWIW, anyone who wants a particular refurb. spec. might find either of these two sites useful:
    http://www.refurb-tracker.com
    http://www.refurb.me
    Will send an alert when matching stock is listed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oh, 13 inch Macbook 2008 running El Capitan

Still worth £100+ I bet

@drkex thanks for those links, am loosing the will to live waiting for a decent Mac Mini upgrade so may buy a 2012

Kryton57

We are keeping the Macbbook, its good as a downstairs lap top surfing / occasional machine. I might even replace the battery.

About the 2tb fusion drive – its a £150 increase option for me, why so expensive for +1tb and why is it a good option OEM over a 1tb fusion on board and anybodys external for everything else?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fusion (we have tried to answer this before 😉 ) the ssd element will boot and start programmes faster. Why is it so expensive – “Apple Tax” ie charging much more for options than fhe extra component cost. Note I just read up onnthe 1tb vs 2tb and the reason the price difference is so large as the ssd portion innthe 1tb is tiny at 24gb vs 128gb on the 2tb. If you don’t want to spend the money / unsure by the base 27 and after warranty runs out put an ssd in it, either yourself or pay someone (job £100? + £100 component cost)

For the MB I assume it has 4gb ram, you could try and buy a 4gb chip (need to check memory speed) and replace one of the 2’s giving 2+4=6 and it will run better if you clear the disk out by 30-50%. If you want a project spend £60 on a 250gb ssd and put that in. All that will be educational to do.

Kryton57

I got the hdd versus ssd bit for fusion. It was just the price hike from 1tb – 2tb i didnt get. Now i do, thanks.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Hence why I was aiming for the 2TB fusion drive. 24GB of SSD seems hardly worth having. If you google it you’ll find plenty agree with me. So you’ll see how you can quickly convince yourself that a £2k computer is the way to go.

Kryton57

Well i think for future proofing – this is after all a long term purchase – ill pay the extra for the 2TB. As mentioned above the bike credits are amassing.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

£2k for a computer? That does pretty much the same as my £200 laptop? Just for “general family stuff and homework”?

crazy fool
    potty
    absolutely nuts
    total barmpot
    moremoneythansense
    that’d buy a new bike…

jam-bo

You’ve not read many kryton57 threads then. Aspiring middle class angst personified.

In fact I’m starting to think it’s a parody.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Sigh. iMac then…’ is closed to new replies.