Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sigh, I love the NHS dental service
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Sorry, it's a rubbish rant, I just need to get it off me chest.

Dentist said I needed a tooth out in Feb, but as it was close to sinus it'd be a trip to Dental Hospital.

Yesterday I finally went for my first appointment (still clinging to the vain hope they might do something about it). Took the afternoon off work on leave. Dentist confirmed that, yes I do need the tooth out. Sinus not an issue. Just book another appointment.

Booked in for the nearest next appointment is now end of October FFS.

Good job it's not been giving me any grief for the past six months. Oh, hold on, it is…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nae luck. I got a next day appt for toothache and got a filling re-done on the spot at mine.

jam-bo

mine can be a bit slow for appointments. I always go on the cancellations list and generally get seen within the week.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    breatheeasy
    Free Member

On the cancellation list so hopefully a bit sooner.

That is quite spooky that magically the right hand side ads are now showing me an advert for "high quality dental care in Hungary"…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I got lucky with my dentist last year, broke a tooth, blagged myself back in as an NHS patient (not been seen for years), in the meantime broke another tooth before seeing dentist, so as they charge per piece of work done I just paid one flat crown fee of £200ish, rather than two seperate amounts.

highclimber
    Free Member

I got myself back in the NHS dentist chair a couple of months ago. three months later I have 3 fillings including a root canal treatment for the princely sum of £75 including initial assesment.

uplink
    Free Member

To be fair though, if it wasn't giving you grief, there wasn't really any urgency

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Update: 12 hours after being quoted 28th October for next appointment I was left a voicemail.

Apparently I've been 'selected' for a government scheme aimed at reducing waiting times, and I was given a choice of a couple of slots in a fortnights time, which is a result.

Of course the cynical voice inside me says surely those slots (note plural so couldn't have just been a cancellation) were available the day before when I booked but then if they'd offered me the earlier slot initially they wouldn't have been able to 'reduce' my waiting time and thus not achieving their targets.

Isn't target-driven performance wonderful?

nuke

My 5 year old daughter needed a filling after she went to the dentist in January and needed to go to one of the larger regional dentists (I assume, like OP, a dentist hospital). We finally got the letter through a couple of months ago confirming October…10 months to get an appointment 🙁

Just so happened though that she was in France at her grandparents for the last couple of weeks. Her nan went to the dentist and my daughter went with her. Her nan told the dentist about how she needed a filling etc and the dentist took one look and booked her in the next week. She went back, had a white filling done and it came to 21Euros. We were happy plus it frees up the place for somebody else at the dentist hospital. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sigh, I love the NHS dental service’ is closed to new replies.