Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • (sigh…)
  • bullheart
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-13065501
    😕
    As stories go, I didn’t have that much of an opinion, but then I read

“I deliberately put a stone-and-a-half on to be able to be considered for the operation.”

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

iDave to the forum please. You are needed in Sheffield.

titusrider
    Free Member

Words fail me…. well I could try…… lazy, feckless, selfish, fatty, chavs, etc

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah. So this will be the topic du jour.

DezB
    Free Member

Morons. Fat morons.

Would there be so many takers if this was the op?

Intravenous feeding only.

Dobbo

They were saying on radio 4 this morning it’s cost effective to do that surgery because of the money they save when the fatties get health problems due to being big porkers.

DenDennis
    Free Member

There was this bloke on bbc breakfast yesterday had the same op-
    This guy was like ‘I’ve tried everything to lose weight- exercise, all diets….this was the only thing that worked’
    correct me if I’m wrong but a gastric band op basically stops you from eating too much? ie it has the same effect as a diet (with the necessary willpower)?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Could we not apply a supertax on such people?

All the money that they would’ve spent on food that they can no longer eat is taxed for the first couple of years post op?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How long does it take after the op to stretch the stomach back to its previous size?

Dendennis asks a valid question.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Just like that Simpsons where Homer has to qualify for his disability allowance by eating foods that make the walls transparent.

This was being discussed on the news as expensive in the short, but cheaper in the longterm for the NHS. I imagine someone who’s stomach has been augmented without the psychological development past why they did this to themselves will be prone to self injurious behaviour in some other. Maybe they just become alcoholics, or ironically anorexic?

Obesity is more complex than simply greed. People seem to have a very different approach to anorexia/bulimia which are different symptoms of the same root issue.

Alcoholism has a huuuge drain on the NHS, but this doesn’t sell papers. Pointing at fat people does, however. I agree with your 🙄 , but I feel there are many (cuddly) shades of grey.

philconsequence
    Free Member

just because someone is overweight doesnt mean they’re a lesser person! saying that… fat people are hard to kidnap, and for that reasons i’m not keen 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not at all comfortable with this mock the fatties vibe this forum has- i know someone who had it done and she is very grateful for this and she knows it was her fault she was fat but felt this was the only cure. Would you prefer they die early from something we can prevent at greater cost to us. As for calling people chavs obesity affects all social strata.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m 64kg, before the “you’re saying that because you’re massive” retort appears!

binners

But its only waffer thin

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

correct me if I’m wrong but a gastric band op basically stops you from eating too much? ie it has the same effect as a diet (with the necessary willpower)?

are you suggesting that fat people like food and also lack the willpower to stop eating too much [ is this the cause of fatness]….. that is some genius stuff there.
    Obviously this is true but the issue is what to do about it as clearly lots of folk lack the will power to reduce their intake hence we have lots of overweight people. I suppose we could operate to give them will power instead

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s not just willpower though is it?

Some of it’s education and underlying emotional issues, surely?

j_me
    Free Member

*reads this while eating a humongous slice of Chocolate Fudge cake..YUMMY !

binners

It’s not just willpower though is it?

Some of it’s education and underlying emotional issues, surely?

And cakes? And pies? And donuts? and chips? And big sweaty kebabs with loads of chilli sauce? With more chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm kebabs…..

I’m really hungry now 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I am not at all comfortable with this mock the fatties vibe this forum has- i know someone who had it done and she is very grateful for this and she knows it was her fault she was fat but felt this was the only cure. Would you prefer they die early from something we can prevent at greater cost to us. As for calling people chavs obesity affects all social strata.

Can someone bring back the real Junkyard please. That paragraph has capital letters and everything.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t forget the part the food companies lay in this – supersized portions, fat and sugar loading etc etc

Fat / sugar / salt can be addictive and the best way for the big food companies to make profits is get people addicted to their stuff by loading the foods with sugar salt and fats.

My name is TJ and I am addicted to jelly babies

molgrips
    Free Member

I do think the education is poor. I’m now discovering there is WAY more to it than the established wisdom, and even that is not communicated very well.

How many people do you know who’ve started going to the gym and not lost any weight?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh people in the story – they have had major surgery that will have unpleasant effects on them the rest of their lives. I feel sorry for them

binners

Do you bite their heads off TJ, you monster? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s not fair to laugh at us tubbies…you won’t be laughing on the massage table. 😐

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Im addicted to food and I have **** all will power.

Thankfully Im also addicted to speed and adrenaline.

I need to consume about 6000 calories per day just to maintain my body weight.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s not fair to laugh at us tubbies…you won’t be laughing on the massage table.

Stop. Lying. Otter. Mode.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kill two birds with one stone ennit… unemployment and obesity…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aIqx1McVI[/video]

Longarmedmonkey

Yes, not being in control of food must be a hard addiction to break. Drugs and alcohol have lots of support networks and a different public perception. Also it must be hard to give up something you’re addicted to if you still have to take it three times a day.

However I feel that a surgical solution is not the answer as it takes away ownership of the problem. there is a good chance the overeating is an indication of a bigger problem. Coaching, support and self control would be much more cost effective as they will help these people self manage and remain in control of their lives.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I still don’t get otter mode.

*checks urban dictionary*

OMG. LMFAO.

*rubs belly*

Lifer
    Free Member

I wish McDonalds would bring back supersized meals 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

*rubs belly*

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d be looking at the mental wellbeing of these people if they consider surgery a nicer alternative than cutting down on portion size and getting some exercise. I suppose its the “easy” i.e. do **** all about it myself option that seems so prevalent in society these days.

Lifer
    Free Member

I suppose its the “easy” i.e. do **** all about it myself option that seems so prevalent in society these days.

That’s not fair, the mother did put on a stone and a half to get the surgery.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When I was at the Tesco express this morning, right by the tills: 4 KitKat Chunky Bars for £1!! You can’t blame me for not resisting that. I’ll make them last all day though. I’m not that much of a glutton.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t blame me for not resisting that

Yes I can.

binners

You’d have been a fool DD. I think we should check in with you just after lunch. See how the Kit Kat longevity challenge is going.

I’ve just had a packet of Cheesy Quavers. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

jools182
    Free Member

scrotes

beamers

4 KitKat Chunky Bars for £1!!

I’d have unwrapped all of them, lined them up next to each other like an old school 4 finger kit kat and then eaten the lot in one go.

Make them last all day? Its almost 11 o’clock – how many have you got left?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can’t IIRC get a lung/liver transplant unless you give up smoking/drinking.

Why not apply the same to gastric surgery, no op untill you’ve proven you’re no longer eating crap.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘(sigh…)’ is closed to new replies.