Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sierra Nevada – What 650b Tyre?
  • hardcoreprawn
    Free Member

I’m heading out to Sierra Nevada, Spain, later in the year. I was planning on fitting Highroller 2 650b/2.3 to the front and Crossmark 650b/2.25 to the rear, both in EXO/TR, but may have to rethink due to the current Maxxis supply issues.

Does anyone have any tried and tested recommendations for dry, loose, and hardpack? I’m looking for relatively lightweight,not too draggy, tough sidewalls, and tubeless (not necessarily UST) in 650b?

Any help appreciated.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Crossmark isn’t going to help on your loss breaking very well.

egb81
    Free Member

Continental Trail King Protection is what I’d use if I went back. The rocks are sharp so make light work of flimsy tyres. It’s very dusty to so some tread to dig in is helpful. Run tubeless as well, otherwise you’ll be forever suffering pinch flats.

showerman
    Free Member

as egb81 above very rocky and can be sharp depends on your style of riding if you are heavy and hard then possible punctures, have ridden the area at least once a year for last 7yrs.
    looks like you could be there in the thorny season to so tubeless and new sealant once you get there is your friend. i find air travel and sealant in tyres are never good travel buddies but others will differ.
    i ride 4″ and ride lite so had no issues.

hardcoreprawn
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ve not used Continentals before, how do they come up width wise? Would 2.4 be too wide and drag?

egb81
    Free Member

About right I’d say. I have the 2.2 29er version though. I wouldn’t worry about drag unless you’re riding a lot of road or fire road. That said, I’ve got a 17km Road round trip to my local trail and it isn’t awful on the Trail King.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Went there with Conti Trail Kings earlier this year. I’d use them again and they were decent in retrospect. I did wish I had a little more grip in the looser stuff on the front, but I don’t think such a thing exists!

hardcoreprawn
    Free Member

Thanks, think I’ll give the Trail Kings a wiz, probably go 2.4 front & 2.2 rear.

bigrich

oh yes indeedy do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sierra Nevada – What 650b Tyre?’ is closed to new replies.