Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sidewall/Bead splitting on Trail Kings
  • mkidley
    Free Member

Had this happen to me a few times now, tyres lasted 5-6 months then would split and just kept buying new ones, and this latest tyre lasted barely two weeks before it went in two places on the same side and pissed out stans fluid.

Anyone had this issue much with Conti tyres? I’ve got Stans rims, apart from the tyres falling apart too easily, what do you think would bring this on?

Had this happen over two bikes too both with Stans rims (26 and 29). 😕

martinhutch

That just looks defective. Recommended pressures?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Agreed. Get those suckers warranteed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mkidley
    Free Member

Yeah inflation is usually around the 35 psi mark, so well within spec.

Just a bit concerned this has happened a few times but this time within a couple of weeks!

Love the way these tyres grip, but had too many fail on me now, so it’s another brand for me I think. Although I’ll warranty this one.

simon1975

Yes with Contis but when they’re old https://goo.gl/photos/A5Yt4sk5pJFSPykF8

br
    Free Member

I went three 3 rear Conti’s last year, all 3 were dead before the tread went due to splitting/holes at the bead – mine all tubeless. Also found that they were very pressure sensitive. Gripped well though and rode well…, shame.

Went back to Maxxis.

qwerty
    Free Member

Rim brake needs realigning? 😉

All mine have been ok @ 20psish.

Keando

Had the same issue with a Mountain King fitted on the rear. Split as per the photo in Simon’s post. I had ridden Cannock the previous day (my first visit) and thought it was possible due to me clipping something on the way round. Running 35 psi so in spec…

Only been on the bike since March.

STATO
    Free Member

Are they the tubeless versions or the cheap ones, I found I got a lot of cracking in the rubber on the cheap ones eventually. Not really designed for use tubeless.

br
    Free Member

Mine were black chilli’s, so the best part of £50 a pop…

mkidley
    Free Member

Mine is 2.2 Protection, so not one of the cheap ones!

I’m in Croatia for a few months now where it’s rocky and bone dry, half tempted to give a Rock Razor a shot.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have the apex version in 29*2.4. I’m hoping that the apex construction helps with this. There’s alot of this type of failure about.

fasthaggis

There’s alot of this type of failure about.

The only tyres (road ones aswell)that I have ever had this happen on have been Contis.
    I won’t buy them any more.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Managed to do that on a BC MK2.

Yeah, put me off Conti a little, if honest. Shame as the Black Chilli rubber really is great.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sidewall/Bead splitting on Trail Kings’ is closed to new replies.