Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sidewall puncture, will I die? photo content
  • bigjim

Off to the alps tomorrow for a week’s xc riding, had this puncture in the sidewall of an Advantage last week, sealed up OK with stan’s sealant, and it looks kinda OK but it is a few mm across and some sidewall thread has frayed. Wouldn’t be bothered if it was on the ground contact but but the sidewalls go through a lot of movement.

Will I die if I keep using it? Could araldite it or something…

mtbfix

If it were me I’d probably run it if I were trundling about my local XC stuff but mountains and rocks and higher speeds and greater potential for accident and incidents would see me off to the shop for a new tyre.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it were mine, I’d put a tyre plug on the inside.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chvck
    Free Member

Bit of toothpaste tube on the inside and it’d be reet as rain.

seavers
    Free Member

For the Alps I would replace just for the piece of mind. Last time I was there we only did ‘XC’ stuff but also the red runs and even then tyres take a right beating.

My mate has a similar one, we were doing trail centers in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and it kept on opening up and sealing.

Maybe get a tubeless repair kit?

Kato

I had a Michelin XC/AT that did that. Rode it for months until it was a tear in the outer layer going from the sidewall to the tread.

Got too nervous though and chucked it out. Was interested to see what the eventual outcome would be!

stevious

A hole that big will swallow you whole and you will never be found again. You are doomed.

On a more serious note, if it were me, I’d just get another tyre on before leaving to avoid the potential hassle that could ensue if that hole got bigger.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Can I have your bikes if you do die?

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yep, the alps will split that open wider than Alan Carr’s ar3ehole.

KonaTC

Sidewall puncture, will I die?

Eventually its the law

bigjim

Well I put a different tyre on, will probably put that one back on when I come back and use it as an excuse to go slowly… “Usually I’d be like totally ripping it with you guys, but you know, this tyre…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Easy to repair.

labsey
    Free Member

Yes you will die. Replace, especially if you’re going to be in the Alps.

z1ppy

“easy to repair” yep I repair it, infact one of my tyre has a very similar hole I repaired.
    Though I still stuff another tyre on for an alp holiday, just for piece of mind.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sidewall puncture, will I die? photo content’ is closed to new replies.