Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sidewall failure using non-tubeless tyre tubeless
  • Leon
    Free Member

Hi All,

On a pretty innocuous bump, I ended up with a 1″ rip in my sidewall. I’m using the light version of the crossmark, converted to tubless with Stans.

The rocks didn’t seem especially sharp.

The last time I had a sidewall failure was in 1996!!!

Was this just bad luck, or could it be because without a tube adding a bit of extra rigidity the sidewall is more vulnerable? Do tubless specific tyres have thicker sidewalls?

njee20
    Free Member

UST ones do, but not the raft of “Tubeless Ready” type tyres that are more popular.

Unlucky I say.

Leon
    Free Member

very unlucky. I’d sneaked out for a cheeky lunchtime ride from work. 15 mins to woods, 15 mins riding, then HISSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssss.

1.5hr walk back. Luckily persuaded the wife to come and get me so only had to walk for 45 mins. Not very stealthy though…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KINGTUT
    Free Member

Maxxis Exception sidewalls are too thin to run tubeless imo.

br
    Free Member

Unlucky, but we’ve had it happen a few times.

In fact on Monday night I had to patch my rear as it just wouldn’t seal.

Took the tyre off, ensuring I didn’t loose the remaining Stans liquid, and patched the inside of the tyre with a normal tube patch. Sealed fine.

And then my buddy ripped his sidewall on barbed wire – he just rode the few miles back, managed as it was a rear.

Worse case, put a tube in – I take it you’d no spares/tools?

IanW
    Free Member

Did the same with a one day old Nobby Nic, dont think its a tubeless problem although a ripped tyre is often still inflated with a tube as opposed to tubeless.
    When tyres get under 500g there gonna be a bit fragile imo.

Worth mentioning on one were fantastic when i rang them even though the tyre may not have been faulty, great service.

aracer
    Free Member

Unlucky – I’m unconvinced that a tube makes more than a miniscule difference to preventing the sidewall getting ripped. I mean by what exact mechanism does a thin sheet of rubber on the inside prevent something sharp on the outside slicing through?

jambon
    Free Member

UST tyres are generally tougher that normal ones IMO. Have ripped up Nevegals (non UST) at Aston Hill, UST Maxxis always fine. Switched to USTs full time after a non-UST tubeless rear tyre completely popped off on a tiny bump. Dunno about tubeless ready/2bliss – will try them when I need new tyres though as they’re half the price.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve put holes in normal tyres, maxxis LUST ones and full UST ones. Just bad luck when it happens I think.

njee20
    Free Member

UST tyres are generally tougher that normal ones IMO

Of course they are, hence the 200g weight penalty.

Tubeless ready ones – and each manufacturers derivative – is just a normal tyre with a tubeless bead, lighter, but more fragile than UST (and similar to using a tube, although I can accept that some small cuts may not affect a tube, tiny number though).

Leon
    Free Member

I mean by what exact mechanism does a thin sheet of rubber on the inside prevent something sharp on the outside slicing through?

I just thought that a tube might add a bit more rigidity, which might stop some sort of pinch effect? Bit of a long shot though.

I’ll go with the “unlucky” analysis.

I was actually there again today, and had a look. The rocks aren’t razor edged, but they are very jabby. I’ve got a new line now (rather than straight through as before!)

FOG

I had an Advantage split the side wall on the N.York moors after I had a puncture. I replaced the strip with a tube and within a few miles the tube popped through the sidewall despite still being firmly seated on the rim.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Started using maxxis tyres with the exo side protection. As tesco says “Every little helps”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sidewall failure using non-tubeless tyre tubeless’ is closed to new replies.