Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sidewall blow out on conti grand prix 4000, anyone experienced it?
  • instanthit
    Free Member

12 miles into my road ride this morning had a very loud bang and subsequent blow out on rear tyre. Second ride on tyres, 25mm, so still riding them in. Road surface was good, not riding hard, rims appear ok. Anyone else experienced this? I have never had a problem with continental before.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, only issues have been flint cuts but then the thin slashes have lasted.. Last one I had go was 3k’s old and split because of a flint slice.
    Still got em’? take em’ back to the shop..

servo
    Free Member

Check brake blocks aren’t set too high and touching the tyre.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“sidewall blow out” – tyre blew off or burst?

Former may be user error.

imnotverygood

I had this about 3 years ago. The sidewall split from the bead on a nearly new tyre.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Well known problem on the interweb.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/people-who-had-gp4000s-sidewall-blowout-320433.html

In fairness they are a very popular tyre and I am sure there are many happy users who will no doubt spring to their defence. They do seem expensive though compared to similar spec. tyres from other manufacturers so bargepole territory for me.

gary

You mean, popped off the rim, no other damage?

If so, yes, happened to me as a one off earlier in the year. Just going fairly gently up a slight slope at the time (though I had been banging over cobbles shortly before).

Still running the same tyre, few hundred more miles, not happened since.

instanthit
    Free Member

Have e mailed company i bought them from for a replacement. Don’t think its user error, as I’m pretty anal about fitting tyres. Wondering if i just got a dodgy tyre.
    Could be an excuse for new rims!!

instanthit
    Free Member

Thanks for the link forzafkawi.
    Gary, tyre stayed on the rim, sidewall has shredded from the beading.

m1kea
    Free Member

imnotverygood
    I had this about 3 years ago. The sidewall split from the bead on a nearly new tyre.

+1 (for a GP3000)

Nailed the lid in the coffin of Conti use for me after getting sick to death with their beyond stupidly tight tubs.

stanfree
    Free Member

This happened to a mate of mine 500 yds into a 102 mile sportive on Saturday . The tyre had probably 5oo miles on It. 😕

Rockplough
    Free Member

Check brake blocks aren’t set too high and touching the tyre.

This.

My brake blocks had worn to the extent the top edge was creeping over the rim and rubbing the sidewall. Didn’t realise the true cause until I’d replaced it and it happened again within 20 miles, so 2 GP4000s down the drain. An expensive lesson.

Before this happened I’d been running the first GP4000 for a couple of years with no problems. Great tyre.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sidewall blow out on conti grand prix 4000, anyone experienced it?’ is closed to new replies.