Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Side to side play in rear wheel…
  • huckfin
    Free Member

Hi all,

So a couple weeks back I noticed sideways movent in my rear wheel and so after double checking that It was definitely my rear wheel (and not linkages and so on) I set about replacing the cartridge bearings because that seemed what would be causing the problem. I did the job properly and used a bearing press to fit the new ones which went in nice and straight. I then put everything back together, properly tightening the cassete, the axle etc only to get back on it and still feel the sideways play!! I am properly stumped…. It is also worth saying that this is a nukeproof hub with a “3 in 1” thru axle design. Also I have kind of traced it down to the axle housing which feels like it is moving a bit against the rest of the hub…

Thanks to any responses in advance.
    Fin

Suggsey
    Free Member

Did you replace the bearings and bushings in the freehub as well as the outer races? If you haven’t I’ve bad news for you, you’ve still got knackered bearings in there!

huckfin
    Free Member

I replaced all 5 bearings (2 in the freehub, 2 in wheel driveside and 1 on the non driveside)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Preload cap at all? Like on a Mavic hub? If not have you dropped the wheel back out and rechecked absolutely everything and then try replacing it? What rear axle are you using, is there any plastic spacers or wear in the QR lever end of it?

huckfin
    Free Member

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2016/05/19/3855/s1200_DSC_0830_138084.jpg
    http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2016/05/19/3854/s1200_DSC_0829_138085.jpg
    It is a Nukeproof Generator AM 2014,
    Here are some pics that may help, Il dismantle it and put it back together but im certain that there are no bits missing.
    The axle is a 12mm maxle which i prettymuch made as tight as possible.

Suggsey
    Free Member

You can preload the bearings using the hub nut on the cassette side a tiny bit but the end of the axle the other side does look a bit worn/scored/shiny. I had a MK1 nukeproof geberator wheel when they first came to market that I had terrible problems with getting the correct amount of preload but it died as the freehub/hub interface just wore out.

huckfin
    Free Member

Sorry how do you mean when you say preload the bearings? the end of the axle hasnt had any real impacts and the scratches on the caps are just from slips of the spanner.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Side to side play in rear wheel…’ is closed to new replies.