Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Side swing front mech for 2×9?
  • AntLockyer
    Free Member

Having just ordered a shiny new BFE 26″ I need to update a couple of things, namely seatpost and front mech.

I’ve still got a 3×9 setup and as all the rings are well worn was just going to replace two of them and go 2×9.

The requirements for the BFE front mech are 34.9mm (Side swing only).

From what I can work out side swing came about with 11 speed. Is this the case? If so will one of these work with 9 speed and my x9 shifter? Will I die?

~EDIT
    I have found 2×10 side swing.
    Shimano SLX M677 Double Front Derailleur

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had problems with a 10sp front mech on a 9sp setup.

IIRC a 10sp chain is narrower and although the mech shifted very crisply it rubbed in some really obscure combos.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I feel an upgrade to 2×10 coming on that case. Wallet burning at the thought.

dukeduvet

Just done this on my cotic soul. Fitted an xt m785 double and all seems good. To be honest I’ve ridden in the new big ring as it were mostly and hardly used the front mech. Not using the smaller ring except for big climbs. So When cash allows I’ll be going 1×10 as can be done on the cheap. Looking at a Sunrace 11-42 cassette. Less gears has definitely been better for me and 2×9 is a cost effective give stop gap. Try 2×9 before you upgrade I would say.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Good to know. I had decided on the way home from work to buy the SLX M677 2×10 Front Mech and see if I die. I’ll stay with the sharks tooth rings too just in case 🙂

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Ended up caving in and buying a complete 2×10 group.

Gulp

dukeduvet

The lure of shiny new stuff, hard to beat!

rocketman
    Free Member

Good man!

AntLockyer
    Free Member

and now I’m eyeing up a pair of xfusion velvet forks to replace my 11 year old Pikes. My Mrs might kill me.

rocketman
    Free Member

to replace my 11 year old Pikes. My Mrs might kill me.

you need the xfusions for safety reasons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Side swing front mech for 2×9?’ is closed to new replies.