Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sid coversion
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Can you convert a 100mm 2015 sid rl to 120mm with some new internals?

I know you can reduce trave, but can you go longer?

otsdr
    Free Member

Assuming this is a solo air fork, the CSU seems to be the same – there are options only for offset/color/steerer (page 50).

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/3vDAS2u8dUnQjhkuw9_Eif3tMmquSvnJfp5MHi7dFDk/mtime:1452728062/sites/default/files/techdocs/2016_rockshox_spc_revb_0.pdf

nickdavies

Yeah just the air shaft needs changing. It’s a dead easy job. The shaft is on Amazon for around £25 normally, I’ve got a 120mm I could sell you here.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tpbiker
    Free Member

i’m considering the change but if I do I’ll have that off you Nick. Is it a diy job?

Thing that worries me is that on the stanchion it clearly has markings for 80 and 100 mm only. Are you 100% sure that the stanchions are same length as the 120 mm version. I’m sure you can appreciate my anxiety given I have such a handsome face….

nickdavies

Job is simple as long as you’ve got the fluids and grease and tools for a regular service. The older SID could be 80/100 only, 2015 should be a SID B 80/100/120 so ok – check the model number on the crown, the number after the T indicates the year. Solo air & black stanchions?

The forks can still be 120 even if they are printed 80/100 only.

otsdr
    Free Member

Have you dropped the lowers? The 120 scale is shared with the 80, hidden under the wipers. On second thought, you shouln’t need to drop the lowers, if the 80 mm scale stops above the wipers you don’t have the 120 one :).

120mm stanchions:

100max stanchions from older forks:

tpbiker
    Free Member

they are black stanchions, and the 80 scale stops below the wiper. Also solo air. I bought the bike in 2015, but can’t see a serial number anywhere

nickdavies

Serial number is on the back of the crown under the bikes downtube.
    They are definitely 120 compatible, I’d bet on it. If the 80mmscale goes under the wiper that’s also the 120 scale,if you look above the 80mm mark you’ll see the 10/20/30% markings and below it you’ll see a line and 30%, thats the top of the 120 scale.

If you want any instructions email me and I’ll send you a guide, but TBH if you go on the SRAM site and download the technical manual for the fork it’s dead easy to follow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sid coversion’ is closed to new replies.