Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sick of chain slap…
  • papamountain
    Free Member

So I have 3×9 sram setup. 11-34 cassette, 22/32/44 rings. Rear der is X0 as are the shifters.

I’m thinking about changing rear der to a shimano xt786 shadow+ 10 speed, a common mod it seems as neither of them saw fit to release a 9speed clutch mech grrr. I would obviously be looking at the long cage (sgs?) version, (still want to keep 3x up front). Most people who i’ve seen only have 2x or 1x up front.

Will it work? Anyone with same setup got it working fine? With or without a spacer?

Happy with my pricey X0 derailleur except for the chain slap, the xt mech is quite a bit less than half the price. Will I be happy with the general performance of the xt mech or will I regret getting rid of the X0 shinyness?

Thanks for any help, allllmost hit the buy button on the xt mech but having second thoughts…

paladin

You’d need a shimano shifter too surely? And a 10 speed cassette?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’m slowly getting a 1×10 set up (going from X0 3×9).

I don’t have everything yet but do have the XT mech. It feels nicely made. I think you can tell it’s not top of the range. The carbon cage on the X0 looks lovely. Overall though, as far as the look goes, I’m happy.

Yes, you’ll need a long cage. You’ll need it too if you go for a range expander (40t cog) at the rear.

I have old XTR rapid fire (8+ years) on my Inbred and the shifting’s as slick as the X0. I can;t imagine the newer stuff will be worse!

breadcrumb

You can bodge a Shimano 10spd mech onto a SRAM 9spd drive train apparently, have a Google.

darkslider
    Free Member

You’ll need to keep your current Sram shifter and use it with a new 10 speed Shimano clutch mech. The actuation ratios aren’t quite the same so where the cable clamps onto the mech you’ll need to fabricate a 6mm spacer to space the cable away from the arm. I used 3 2mm thick stainless M5 washers and a slightly longer M5 stainless bolt, works a treat.

jamj1974

6mm spacer worked for me. I used washers but some people on here machined a specific spacer relieved to clamp the cable neatly. My shifting was perfect.

matt_outandabout

What frame and do you have a protector on?

My bike has the old inner tube wrapped stay, and it reduces chain noise right down, and stops damage occurring.

Simon

I’m using a Sram 9spd shifter and a Shimano SLX 10spd shadow+ mech with a 6mm spacer at the clamp.
    Shifting is spot on but it hasn’t totally eliminated chain slap. But that’s OK, the main reason I did it is because Shimano mechs and jockey wheels are cheaper.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

sorry for slight hijack, has anyone here managed to do this for Shimano 9 speed shifters?

jam-bo

wrong cable pull ratio, won’t work.

ndthornton
    Free Member

My shadow+ rear mech has done diddly squat in terms of reducing chain slap. Keeps the chain on nice but doesn’t stop the noise.

showerman
    Free Member

went 1×11 stopped all noise issues but at a cost

jam-bo

I still got a little bit of chain noise when I moved the same zee mech from my five to an ST4. the top chainline runs quite close to the top of the chainstay and I was still getting a slight knocking on really rocky sections. a rubber guard on there and not a whisper anymore.

Russell96

Depending on the bike why not a Bionicon Chain Guide?

http://bionicon.com/cguide

amedias
    Free Member

Old road bar tape (preferably a nice one with big of gel squidge in) wrap on the chainstay does wonders for any remaining noise on a clutched drivetrain.

Was a bit quieter than innertube for me, but needs replacing a bit sooner

jsync

Depending on the bike why not a Bionicon Chain Guide?

http://bionicon.com/cguide

I got the eco version of this, made a massive difference to my 2×9 setup

crashmagnet
    Free Member

I find the majority of my chain slap noise comes from the chain and front much, not the chainstay. If I lower the mech to reduce the slap then the mech doesn’t clear the front sprockets or I have issues changing between sprockets. Resigned to having chain slap…..

wiggles
    Free Member

Why not just wait till your chain and cassette are worn and change to 10spd anyway for not much more cost and a lot less hassle.

papamountain
    Free Member

Thanks all. It’s a Giant Reign. Yep the ol’ shimano 10 speed mech with 9 speed sram shifter bodge. Don’t want a chain guide.

New xt shad+ mech is £39, whole 10 speed setup is a LOT more..
    A bit concerned now that some of you say it didn’t make any difference to chain slap but most seem to say it does..

Oh well, I guess if It doesn’t work out I can always just sell it.
    Just wanted to check if it should work with 3x up front. Looks like it should.

Cheers STW hive mind.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sick of chain slap…’ is closed to new replies.