Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Sick Mutt
  • uggski

So my mutt has been diagnosed with Chronic Renal failure. (CRF) Apparently this is quite common in older dogs and is one of the biggest causes of mortality. He would be 14 in February next year. It has come on very quickly and he has all the symptoms except diarrhoea. I of coarse looked it up on the internet. 🙂

Quite frankly I don’t know what to do. The vet says he can give him fluid therapy but he needs to stay in for at least 2 days. I don’t want him to stay in as he gets very stressed away from us and if time is short I would rather he stayed at home. Vet says it could be a few days or months depending on treatment.

At the moment the main issue is getting him to eat. Has anyone got any ideas on this? If I can’t get him to eat then everything else is pointless. He is drinking and is active and alert although can’t get up or down the stairs.
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the mutt Uggski. have you tried adding a load of water to dog biscuits and letting it sit until it turns to slop? if he’s drinking then it may work, even if it takes all day for him to drink it at least he’s getting the benefit from the food.
    all the best of luck

uggski

Thanks.

Tried that but he just turns away. Going to the vet again this afternoon as there may be a way to administer the fluids under the skin ourselves. Also going to get low protein food as that can help. problem with that is it is pretty bland so may need to mix it with chicken stock or some other tempter.

not looking good for the poor fella. 🙁

mucker

My dog has had a pretty torrid time this year with various age related conditions coming in rapid succession over the last six months. When she had lost all interest in dog food we bought the cooked chicken thighs from Lidl to tide her over till she could stomach her usual fare.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mate. When my dogs wouldn’t eat I usually boiled up some chicken thighs, fed them the meat and used the water I cooked them in to soak their dried food.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

My young German Shepherd is very reluctant to eat in the morning. I crumble a small bit of these salmon stick/sausage treats that he likes on it and that works.

My old cat came down with renal failure a couple of years ago. It came on quick and although he was made comfy within a few weeks he needed to be put down as things were clearly not going to improve for him. Based on that experience I’d say this; Please don’t leave it too long if you know that it’s going to be necessary. I did with my cat, cue a late night rush to the vets which caused far more stress and pain than was needed, it still haunts me today. I don’t envy you having to make that call. All the best with it.

dovebiker

My wife makes a chicken broth for poorly dogs.

Be prepared to make that final decision – the vet will give you options about the time but the tough call will be down to you, however heartbreaking it will feel. We lost 2 within months – I was in denial on the first and should have made that call days before. Healing vibes.

threerock44
    Free Member

Having him in on a drip should give his fortunes a bounce, effectively giving him something like a dialysis type flush out of the toxins which his kidneys are struggling to excrete. Any improvement may be quite short lived however. The daily fluids under the skin at home can help if you’re up for it. Cats get more kidney failure than dogs but it is more treatable. Dogs get it relatively seldom but from diagnosis to needing euthanasia can unfortunately be only days to weeks. I’m sure your vet has done a good diagnostic job. If blood urea and creatinine are high, and the urine is very dilute, then there is not much else it can be. Good luck, Threerock44 MVB CertSAM MRCVS

cloudnine
    Free Member

When the time comes make sure you assess the situation as… are you keeping him going for him as he’s not well.. or are you holding onto him for you.
    A truly heartbreaking decision to be made at some point.

uggski

Thanks for the replies.

Creatinine level was around 400. Vet Says it’s about stage 4. So yes we know there is not much time, which is why we are reluctant to waste it by keeping him in a surgery for 3 days.

At the moment he seems happy. Gets excited when we come in, still wants to go for a walk although that’s very slow. Still wanders off to smell everything he can so while he is like this I am happy to leave it.

When he won’t do anything I’m sure we will know it’s time. 🙁

jamj1974

So sorry to hear this. This part of having a pet is heartbreaking…

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your dog.

At the moment he seems happy. Gets excited when we come in, still wants to go for a walk although that’s very slow. Still wanders off to smell everything he can so while he is like this I am happy to leave it.

This is the key – from the sounds of it you’ll know the look that says it’s time to say goodbye.
    Personally, I wouldn’t go for an invasive or inpatient treatment an incurable condition in my dog, it’s just not fair on them.

uggski

So sorry to hear this. This part of having a pet is heartbreaking…

True but the rest makes up for it.

uggski

This is the key – from the sounds of it you’ll know the look that says it’s time to say goodbye.

I hope so. We’ve been through a lot together.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve found chopped raw liver entices dogs that are too ill to eat much else.

The only time I’ve regretted my actions at the end of a dogs life is when I couldn’t face it and in denial. The last kindness you can show your dog is a death free of suffering, better a week early than a day late is my mantra now.

I am not the ‘man on the ground’ here, but I think I would spend the weekend with my dog, whatever short walks treats etc he loves then on Monday call the vet.

So very sorry, give us (and you) a pic of him in better times.

uggski

My favorite. New car security system.

crabeychris
    Free Member

Feeling your pain! I lost my dog 2 days ago a week after she was diagnosed with cancer. Like yours she wasn’t interested in food but seemed alert and wanted to walk (slowly).

Its the hardest decision I’ve made but you know when the time is right.

As her time was short we gave her what ever she would eat. That was mainly chicken, turkey and randomly cake.

mattyfez

It is heart breaking, lost the family dog a few year ago, similar scenario.

We’ve recently got a new puppy, he’s about four months old now and an absolute joy, but chances are unless I get hit by a bus, I will have to deal with it all over again in ten to fifteen years.

Bloody hell I’m crying whilst writing this.

You’ll know if he’s suffering too much and that’s the the point where you have to say goodbye.

sweepy
    Free Member

ho ho, what a bruiser! No ones mucking with that car, bet he’s soft as shite tho 🙂

uggski

ho ho, what a bruiser! No ones mucking with that car, bet he’s soft as shite tho

He is. Probably lick you to death.

Wookster

LoL he’s got a lovely face!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like a real cuddle monkey. We lost ours just over a year ago but we’ve recently taken on a four year old rescue and helping her rebuild her confidence.

She’s having bonus cuddles on the bed right now after reading what you’re going through.

With time, it gets easier to remember the good times rather than the last bit. So much so, that eventually, you’ll set yourself up to do it all again with another fur baby.

uggski

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind words. Not looking forward to the next few days but will make the most of the time.

last night he perked up a bit and seems his new favorite food is baby food. Sunday chicken roast. Couldn’t get enough.

Ron

uggski

So today I had to do one of the hardest things I have ever done. I took my dog to the vet for the last time. RIP buddy.

theotherjonv

🙁

An open letter to Uggski

Mate;

I know that was hard for you, but thanks. I was struggling and I couldn’t go on. I’ve tried to keep up appearances for you but I couldn’t any more, so when it was time, thanks so much for doing what you had to do. I know it’ll make you sad, but try not to be; you’ve been the best owner I could have wished for and today just proved it.

Think of the good times we had together and remember me as the strong fit dog that i was. And when time has healed, do one more thing for me. Give another dog the chance you gave me, so they too can know what it means to be cherished.

Thanks for everything.

Dog.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I opened this thread hoping for the best but expecting exactly what is it.

It sucks, you feel shit. But you did it for him, not for you. That’s what real friends do.

It’s only a shame that there’s no one there to do it for us when our time comes.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Really sorry for you mate.

uggski

Thanks. We’ve both been in bits all day. Not sure why I have posted this really, except it just seems to help putting it into words. Coming home it’s the first time in 15 years there hasn’t been a fur ball to greet us.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I posted here when we lost ours last year. It helped. Wife would wait in the car for me to get home so she didn’t have to go into the empty house alone.

gozarch
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this uggski 😥 The right thing to do, but that doesn’t make it, or you, feel any less shit.

And thanks for making me cry, otherjonv!

uggski

An open letter to Uggski

Mate;

I know that was hard for you, but thanks. I was struggling and I couldn’t go on. I’ve tried to keep up appearances for you but I couldn’t any more, so when it was time, thanks so much for doing what you had to do. I know it’ll make you sad, but try not to be; you’ve been the best owner I could have wished for and today just proved it.

Think of the good times we had together and remember me as the strong fit dog that i was. And when time has healed, do one more thing for me. Give another dog the chance you gave me, so they too can know what it means to be cherished.

Thanks for everything.

Dog.

Sent that to my wife. Now she is even more in bits but a bit happier

jamj1974

So sorry to hear this uggski.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Man hugs at you Uggski ?? Crack open a beer and remember the good times.

Rorschach
    Free Member

uggski

Thanks for all the reply’s. Still getting used to coming home to an empty house. I think that’s the worst of it. I miss the happy greeting you get from a dog no matter what type of shitty day you may have had they are always happy to see you.

SaxonRider

Nothing to say except best wishes. Dogs are fantastic.

And nice one, theotherjonv. Great letter.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Sick Mutt’ is closed to new replies.