• This topic has 21 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fisha.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sick building syndrome?
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

We have a big new Sainsbury’s in town, huge glass fronted building, two storey car park on top, nice open-feeling shop.
    It should make shopping slightly less awful, but every time I go in there, I struggle to finish the shopping as, after a while, I start to feel sick and so tired I struggle to keep standing. Very weird, other supermarkets don’t have that effect.
    So I’m wondering if it’s that “sick building syndrome” thing I’ve heard of?

Esme
    Free Member

No, LadyG, it’s just your age 😉

sandwicheater

You’ve invinted a thing.

I reckon Sainsbos is just to posh for you and it’s sending you loopy. You’re more a Iceland kind of person. No shame in it, you just need to know your station.

oldnpastit

Carbon monoxide coming in from somewhere? Colourless and odourless but makes you feel drowsy and nauseous.

See here for more.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

No, LadyG, it’s just your age

Thanks!! 😉

And as for the posh, thing, it’s probably the other way – I really need to shop in Waitrose or Booths.

project
    Free Member

I struggle to finish the shopping as, after a while, I start to feel sick and so tired I struggle to keep standing. Very weird

Thats not an acceptable defence for shop lifting.

Local B and Q staff complaining about pain in feet and backs due to hard floors,

Local shopping centre i used to work in, underground car park below, we all got killing headaches and weird tiredness at times.Probably due to CO fumes.

Tesco store, all wood and environmnetally freindly, staff complain of cold and poor ventilation.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Whenever I go into Waitrose my eyes start to water.

I think it’s the prices.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I once worked in a building that had a depressing effect on me, a large open plan floor where I was in the middle as far away from any windows as I could be. It definately had a negative effect on my mood and I was glad when we were moved out of there. On the other hand my local B&Q always makes me feel like I need a number 2, even if I do a pre-emptive strike before I go. What’s that all about?

piemonster

I reckon Sainsbos is just to posh for you and it’s sending you loopy. You’re more a Iceland kind of person. No shame in it, you just need to know your station.

Possibly not posh enough, anything below Waitrose brings me out in a rash.

Don’t get me started on ASDA, I’m vomiting just entering the car park.

wrecker
    Free Member

Sick building syndrome is a thing, but that’s not what you’re experiencing. It’s certainly environmental, perhaps the new LED lighting or a lack of ventilation?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it the location 😉

Its odd to have something modern like that in Blackpool and in that area of Blackpool

iffoverload
    Free Member

some people develop a sensitivity to the chemicals given off by recently made items

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgassing

I find one manages to cope with the food halls at Harrods, but it is rather tiring on occasion…

danreilly
    Free Member

I go shopping with the wife and i feel like I’ve died inside. Does anyone else get this?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Are you the type of person that gets together with their friends to have Seances?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

So I’m wondering if it’s that “sick building syndrome” thing I’ve heard of?

No.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Wreckers answered it from my knowledge. Lack of clean air and poor lighting causes lots of problems to places. In fact my local Waitrose was a struggle for me to do shopping and I believe it was the lighting was so bright and reflective off the floor too. Buggers have now refitted it and seems a lot better now.

prawny

Sick building syndrome normally only affects people who are in buildings for extended periods like office workers, I did a survey at five ways tower in Birmingham last year which has been empty for 12-15 years because of sick building syndrome but in the 2-3 hours I was there I had no ill effects.

I used to feel similar in marks and Spencer’s though as a kid, could be something in the air conditioning, it could be anxiety, are the aisles spaced unusually, that can mess with your brain, Asda by me is narrower than standard, it’s one of the reasons I don’t go there. (The people is the other one)

antigee

are the aisles spaced unusually, that can mess with your brain

true, I’m pretty sure that’s a caveman thing – nuts and berries no where near the meat – confusing as hell

cinnamon_girl

Any water damage that leads to mould.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Our local homebase gives me a headache due to abysmal lighting. Could it be similar?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I worked in a place with new offices, and some of the offices had no natural light, and no windows! was an awful place to work. headaches and sickness all the time. Not too sure what architect thought that would be a good idea.

fisha
    Free Member

I used to feel similar in marks and Spencer’s though as a kid, could be something in the air conditioning, it could be anxiety, are the aisles spaced unusually, that can mess with your brain, Asda by me is narrower than standard, it’s one of the reasons I don’t go there. (The people is the other one)

Phew ! Glad I’m not the only one that felt sick in M&S. I put it down to the lighting at the time when I was a kid ( dull fluorescent tubes )

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sick building syndrome?’ is closed to new replies.