Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Sick! Bicycle – hardcore slack 29er – steel loveliness
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

Did this guy just do a few day long framebuilding course and is trying to sell his first ever frames as a kickstarter? i.e he’s only ever built one frame and is calling himself a framebuilder?

ahwiles
    Free Member

‘ang on, that geometry chart seems to measure the reach from the BB, to the bottom of the headset…?

Gotama
    Free Member

Its also now got a 71 degree seat angle which is a little different from the original marketing as far as I can recall. Seems a bit of a shambles.

honourablegeorge

Says in the comments that the original version is still available.

Agree it’s a bit of a mess though, there’s no geometry on the Kickstarter page for the “original” version, not any mention of theire being two versions. Just lots of pics of one bike and the geo and specs for another.

honourablegeorge

It’s also not drilled for a stealth dropper, as they reckon that weakens the frame. Speccing a Magura Vyron instead….no thanks.

Makes a bit more sense now, there’s a piece in “updates” about the changes they’ve made to the frame, including improving aesthetics by straightening out the line of seatstay/top tube, and then messing them up again by bracing the seat tube.

Makes no mantion of taking 3.5 degrees off the seat angle, though, which is a major negative in my eyes – steep seat angle and long reach were the main good things about the original layout.

mindmap3
    Free Member

No tah.

It’s black looks poo (really poo), the brand and model names are both awful. The lack of information re geo is odd. Mixed in with lack of communication about another model etc it all seems like a really bad joke.

butterbean
    Free Member

As previously mentioned by others, looks like a GCSE project. It’s amazing what people will stump up for on these Kickstarter style sites.

I could almost make some stereotypical assumptions on the owners of said bike brand/school project, based on that alone. A quick scoot to Instagram pretty much confirms the stereotype.

Who buys this sh1t?

chiefgrooveguru

Original geometry:

New/large geometry:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVX_9LLBoDy/

I am so confused!

On both diagrams the seat tube angle appears to include the seatpost layback.

I don’t know why the geometry has been changed so much? If the first one rides well then give it a longer seat tube, maybe add a longer reach version too, and leave it be. I’m not sure why the head angle has been steepened so much, seat angle slackened even more, chainstay lengthened and bottom bracket raised…

Rubber_Buccaneer

I was interested in this. I know their prototype works as I have seen Strava times (so it must be true 🙂 ) of someone who had a go and they certainly got my attention. When I saw the original I thought all I wanted was a longer seat tube (no numbers available but I’ve made a guesstimate theirs is well under 400mm) and a hole for a stealth dropper and I’d be very tempted to take a chance on it. But everything is a little too vague for me, a slacker seat tube isn’t what I want and I’m a bit skint so I keep checking on the Kickstarter but haven’t put my hand in my pocket

renton
    Free Member

£2990. Is that right ?

butterbean
    Free Member

Having read/deciphered some more of the Kickstarter page, jus prior to getting an aneurysm from all the bro talk, it also implies the frames are, after the initial runs, the frames at £900 are discounted?

Sounds like +/- £1000 for a frame then?

Yep. Good luck with that.

jabbi
    Free Member

Can’t really see what this brings that my NS doesn’t for cheaper? Ok not quite as slack HA but 65º is enough surely!
    The brand name actually puts me off and as above the toptube/seatstay arrangement is so close, yet so far!
    Sick = ill = unwell. It looks it! I’m not MCA!

bedmaker

I wish the guys well but no way would I commit money to this in a kickstarter.
    Needs some clarity on geometry. As above, the ‘reach’ measured to the bottom of the HT is a tad unusual. The ST angle slacking back to 71 is going to wreck the climbing ability as well as making horribly stretched out.
    They could really do with finding a way to stealth route the dropper too.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Apparently they’ve done both physical testing and ‘FMEA’. Well I’m sold.

slowoldman

where do you hide the 3ft seatpost needed to ride uphill?

You clearly didn’t pay attention. They push it uphill (well actually on the flat by the look of it). How on Earth can someone say “wow” on the basis of a shitty video with some dreadful “music”? What exactly is special about that thing?

ibnchris

Not a big fan of the bike but wish them well. And re: marketing needing pass their GCSEs – feels like a weird and unfair comment. Again, personally I hate the brand name etc but I think the writing is on point for what I assume to be their target market. I’d say well done to the marketing guy 🙂

honourablegeorge

For all the marketing, they’re still only half way to being funded with five days left

honourablegeorge

So they didn’t make it.. £8414 pledged out of a target of £16000.. just 5 frames in that total.

Wonder what happens with them now. Bit of a shame really, think the prototype was a tweak or two away from being very nice.

honourablegeorge

Aha… not dead it seems:

What happens next?

We will be honoring the Kickstarter prices for orders on the frames. We will attempt to contact you, or you can message us here, although chances are we have already been talking!

On July 1st, we will be launching our online store. If you have pledged on Kickstarter for anything, you will receive a discount code that mirrors the prices offered in the crowdfunding campaign.

If you loved the tees and hoodies don’t worry; they will be for sale on the store too!

There will be a choice of 4 different frames, 2 hardtail and 2 full suspension.

As well as the above, there will be 2 build kits available. So yes, full bikes will be available, ready to ride, with a few customisation options too.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

They’re suspension designers too now?

honourablegeorge

They were talking from the start about a full suss bike.

superstu
    Free Member

Good luck to them. I like the look of the v2 frame.

Speeder

The full sus might be good they got Mike McD involved making some bits for it and he knows his onions.

Good luck to them, I’m sure they’ve learned a huge amount and having done something similar I know what it’s like to do all this stuff in the public domain while trying to hold down a full time job doing something completely different (I’m assuming). Not everyone can be on social media or updating the website full time so the gaps are understandable.

Speeder
    MarkBrewer
    Free Member

About time somebody named a bike The Gnarpoon 😆

honourablegeorge

Theyre still talking a good game anyhow. Hopefully they produce the interesting bikes they’re promising and not the watered down ones they offered on Kickstarter.

funkmasterp

I stopped at “here at Dirt we’ve already consigned hardtails to the antiques bin” can’t be anything else worth reading after that load of bollocks.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Jeebus! What happened to Dirt? They used to be alright.

Stevet1
    Free Member

my aspiration is to be something like Specialized, or Trek, or Brooklyn Machine Works

Quite a bit of difference between BMW and Spesh/Trek I’d have thought.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Sick! Bicycle – hardcore slack 29er – steel loveliness’ is closed to new replies.