Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Sick! Bicycle – hardcore slack 29er – steel loveliness
  • coomber
    Free Member

Anyone else tempted?

coomber
    Free Member

We weren’t going to worry about posting too many details about geo as we’re more of a firm believer of “if a bike rides well, does the pub-talk really matter?”

But here’s the basics!
    Head Angle: SLACK AF (or 62.5 degrees in real language)
    Wheelbase: LONG AF (or 1257mm)
    Seat-tube angle: STICKY UPPY SO YOU CAN CLIMB (ehem, 74.5 degrees)
    Reach: NOICE (511mm)

Note, these are for the BIG frame (that’s actually our regular), we’re finalising a larger frame for the high-towers of the world that’s a little longer, has a slightly higher seat tower and longer reach.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    russyh
    Free Member

Music in the video makes me feel Sick!

ton

where do you hide the 3ft seatpost needed to ride uphill?

submarined
    Free Member

It may be the best frame in the world, but their Graphic Designer/marketing person needs to pass their GCSEs before being allowed to carry on.

So much cringe.

kraken2345
    Free Member

My first comment was going to be seatpost related, looks great in the photos but is said that enduro etc can be done which requires a decent saddle height, never seen an enduro race where a rider stood up for every ascent and descent

prawny

Apart from the odd looks and ironic name it makes a fair bit of sense. I can see this sort of thing from a bigger manufacturer in 2-3 seasons. It’s like a BTR, but more ‘yah dude!’

I’m still not in though, too much money for me. And too ‘rad’

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting, but even if I had £800 to splash on a steel HT, I’d want a full geometry chart first.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m a bit of a steel HT fan, but that looks awkward AF and all out of proportion

greyspoke
    Free Member

They say it climbs well, but not for how long you are supposed to keep it up.

Bizarre.

ETA the T-shirt gives it away:

cokie

Looks like a DJ frame.
    The ST/TT junction is far too low aesthetically. I also wonder if the ST is too short to run a dropper fully extended without exceeding the minimum insertion..

Good price though and would love to have a go.

ahwiles
    Free Member

that Bill Bailey can turn his hand to anything…

jackaldon81
    Free Member

I really like the branding/teeshirt but not the bike so much. Yes more details on geo would be nice.

soulrider
    Free Member

I have long legs..
    therefore I am out

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like tons bike where he sat down too quick 😉 sorry ton 🙂

greyspoke
    Free Member

That seat-tube is clearly not designed with anyone’s inside leg measurement in mind.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i really like the tshirt!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You know when a bike just looks ‘right’.

Yeh? This isn’t one of those times…

Northwind

it does look like it’s straining to push out a stubborn poo. But seatposts can be pretty long, the 480mm Reverb’s too big for a lot of frames but it’d be quite at home in that. Or a 560mm, 200mm Fall Line. it’s not like it’ll look any dafter.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it me or..

DezB
    Free Member

Dammit, got to pledge a tenner for one of these!

matts
    Free Member

Saddle height looks good, but not sure my 4yo has long enough arms to reach the bars.

jekkyl

“Watch out for that tree, bro!”

honourablegeorge

I’m tempted, but it’s twice the price of a Last FF, and there’s something really annoying about the way the TT and chainstay meet at an angle instead of a straight line.

chiefgrooveguru

I just want the top tube and seat stays to run in a straight line, I think that would look badass. I’m surprised how high the BB looks too.

Regarding the geometry, I went down the slack and long route with my own hardtail, starting with a -2 deg headset and 130mm fork, then a -0.5 deg external lower cup and 140mm fork and now a standard zero stack headset and 150mm fork, so the bike has become progressively shorter in reach and steeper of head angle (particularly at sag). It’s still fairly long (about 450mm reach) but not that slack, maybe 66.5 or 67 sagged. For the terrain it’s best on it just seems to work better with less rad geometry.

My full-sus has gone the other way, now sitting at a sub 64 deg head angle and riding great. The reach is shorter but the stem is longer too (50 vs 35mm) and it has massive bars (810 vs 750mm).

I’m currently a bit perplexed at why the full-sus rides better slacked out and the hardtail better steeper. However Sick Bicycles are only a few miles away and a mate’s already given the prototype a go so I may get to see how it feels quite soon!

pictonroad

They’re only a couple of streets away from my house which was a surprise. It’s an interesting bike that’s for sure. They’re WAY too cool for the likes of me but I can’t fault the ambition and enthusiasm. 8)

Jimbo (Hummerlicious from this parish) took one for a spin, he was pretty impressed.

Jimbo’s thoughts.

I love the T shirts though, want one

Klunk
    Free Member

there doesn’t seem to be much bb drop for a 29er 😕

oldtalent
    Free Member

Being fat, old and fat I prefer full suspension & lots of it. I doubt I’m the target audience though.

Wookster

Yeah……good luck to them it it’s not my cup of tea at all……..and I’m the only person in the world who likes the new Nomad…. 😯

sirromj

With optional basket and flowers:

Northwind

I just keep looking at that and thinkign how little it’d take to un**** the toptube/chainstay line, it’d make bugger all difference to standover and wouldn’t even need a longer seat tube.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Didn’t someone make a CX bike along those lines without a saddle?

cokie

With it being a UK handbuilt frame, I’d be suprised if they wouldn’t let you add a few CM to the ST and move that SS & TT junction up a bit.

I don’t think it’s helped by the fact they seem to be running a BMX/jump bike saddle. That wouldn’t be comfy to sit on for a longany climb.

Edit: this frames on Kickstarter (HERE) looks nice. Geo not as radical, but only 500 euros.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Sorry to say, no matter how well it rides, it looks f*cking disgusting.

It’s hard to make a hardtail look sh*t. Somehow they have managed it. Looks like a massive fat person sat on a normal bike & crushed it.

Northwind

Yup. I’m a serial buyer of ugly bikes but even I have limits. It’s actually uglier than my Ellsworth, in some ways, just because it works so hard at spoling something that is just naturally nice to look at.

noltae
    Free Member

I like it – I hope Sick Bicycle Co do well . .

coomber
    Free Member

Updated geometry with large size.

honourablegeorge

Bit confused on this… They’re now showing a geo chart for a different looking frame with braced seat tube.

honourablegeorge

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVX_9LLBoDy/

Seems it’s a “gen 2” version that “fits more people”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Sick! Bicycle – hardcore slack 29er – steel loveliness’ is closed to new replies.