• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,801 through 2,840 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Bag is pretty damn stable Matt, it just hangs a bit too low for my fork set up…

On the plus side, I’ve always found the front end light when climbing steep stuff. With the bag on it’s planted… Après le pleut, c’est le soleil.

scotroutes

Lots of bags being damaged by bouncy forks I reckon. More of a problem for us shorter folks though. I’d use another couple of straps inboard to ensure the pack doesn’t settle lower once you’re under way. I sometimes do it that way too but just be aware

Oh and (less important for a one-nighter) that puts potentially wet stuff in with your sleeping bag.

metalheart
    Free Member

Solaris in medium has a 100mm head tube, so a problem for us, uh, less vertically challenged too… 😉

I’m thinking a bit more fettling, bit more fork pressure and some sacrificial duct tape on the bottom of the bag….

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh and (less important for a one-nighter) that puts potentially wet stuff in with your sleeping bag.

I think the bivi stuff sack is a dry bag…

But we both know the real solution… A new mat 🙁

scotroutes

Remember your snow shoes!

metalheart
    Free Member

That Feshie update now more vital than ever!

swanny853

Can you not pop a couple of old ‘ski’ bar ends inboard of shifters, and use them to up the bag and stablise the bag more?

I ended up getting fed up with the bar roll not staying high enough so got one of those bar extender things to velcro it to. Has the added benefit of lifting the light above the roll too. First test was this weekend at the BB200.

I can’t find much of a picture but hopefully these will give some idea- it’s using one of the alpkit basic bar bag mounts, some velcro through the central webbing loops and round the bar extender does a nice job of stopping it sagging. It’s still pretty close though!

STATO
    Free Member

Swanny what extender did you get. All the ones ive seen have a thin bracket and 22mm bar so a bit skinny for the exposure light to be stable on. Would appreciate some first hand experience. Ta.

swanny853

this one

You do have to use a reducer to fit the exposure bracket. I had a couple lying around- in use it was fine. I like the slimline mounts as I can still get the garmin tucked up nice and close.

It is a bit of a faff to fit, the bolts are quite small and you have to think about the order you tighten everything up to get things aligned properly. Hard to adjust once all the luggage is on too, but should really only be a problem on the first few uses.

STATO
    Free Member

Cheers Swanny.

Matt, the Nitto is lovely but what retro world do you live in where people still use 26mm bars 😆

matt_outandabout

😆

I guess it more shows what you can do with a couple of bar ends of some TT bars/Bag mount/etc mount that would support a bag in the air.

I am waiting for someone to bodge a carbon or alloy ‘bag hanger’ – two prongs pointing out forward at angles, but resting over bars and under stem. It would take a few seconds to fit, one bit of velcro to secure down and you end up with a pair of prongs to hold bag under, below bar level, but higher than these complex harnesses….

EDIT: a stronger and simple (open ended) version of this:
    http://members.shaw.ca/randoray/garagepages/sheetholder.html

Cheezpleez

I believe people have used these with some success. Not sure how high it raises the bag, though.

swanny853

I am waiting for someone to bodge a carbon or alloy ‘bag hanger’ – two prongs pointing out forward at angles, but resting over bars and under stem. It would take a few seconds to fit, one bit of velcro to secure down and you end up with a pair of prongs to hold bag under, below bar level, but higher than these complex harnesses….

Oooh, now that’s tempting. The bar extender works for me so I can get a light on it but that’s a cracking idea.

faustus

Useful as bar extenders are in themselves, aren’t these good ideas part of the shortcomings of bar harness fixing in general though? Isn’t it better to have a more rigid harness that bolts to the handlebars like the blackburn one, or the new specialized bar bag? Then you can set it to the height you want..?

swanny853

Isn’t it better to have a more rigid harness that bolts to the handlebars like the blackburn one

We bought the blackburn one when it came up cheap a while back for my OH to use on her mtb for some touring in France this summer. It works and is convenient but it’s somewhat chunky in both size and mass and pushes the load out quite a long way ahead, which makes the steering a wee bit odd at first. It’s hard to cinch it up as tight as you would a bar bag too.

I’d say good for off road touring and very convenient for grabbing on and off but I’d favour pulling the weight back for anything rougher.

STATO
    Free Member

Isn’t it better to have a more rigid harness that bolts to the handlebars like the blackburn one, or the new specialized bar bag? Then you can set it to the height you want..?

While all these ideas are nice I want any weight bolted to my bars as close to the steering axis as possible to get, which inevitably means it needs to go under the bars/stem. Makes riding (the main point of being on a bike) much more pleasant.

Im lucky being tall that I can do this even on a 29er with 100mm suspension, but it does require me to use a skinny bag to fit under the bar. I use a revelate saltyroll (or at least an older single opening version). I tried an alpkit bag but they are so fat and short as to be pointless.

swanny853

I use a revelate saltyroll (or at least an older single opening version). I tried an alpkit bag but they are so fat and short as to be pointless.

I could use an alpkit drybag on the roadrat touring- the shorter fatter bag made it fit between the drops and there was room with the lack of suspension. I use the bag from the blackburn for the same reason as you- exactly the same kit in both, just roll the sleeping mat rolded in half for the alpkit one.

matt_outandabout

Oooh, now that’s tempting. The bar extender works for me so I can get a light on it but that’s a cracking idea.

As I think about it now, I might just try and get some steel pipe and have a go at bending. Heavy, but it would prove concept.

The best idea would be to have a stem/bars mould and work from that in carbon or glass.

whitestone
    Free Member

When off-road touring (bikepacking) started becoming popular and folk set up small businesses making kit they were somewhat limited by few if any mounting bosses on mountain bikes so went the “soft” buckle and strap and velcro approach. This allowed the harnesses and bags to be easily moved from bike to bike. Of course, as with many things, this became seen as “the way to do it” and it’s only with the entry to the market of the mainstream manufacturers like Ortlied and Specialized that we are beginning to see the V2.0 designs as it were. There’ll be some designs that work and some that don’t but in a while things will settle down and there’ll be a “new way to do it”.

As you move the baggage away from the fixing points you introduce greater turning moments and load whose effects get amplified by the bike bouncing around on the track which means heavier supports to deal with that dynamic load. Otherwise the baggage bounces around more disconcertingly than Katie Price on a trampoline! 😛

Then there’s market size. Off-road touring is very much a niche activity, the big players need big markets to cover their R&D. A year or two along the line they might decide that the return isn’t worth the investment.

metalheart
    Free Member

Trial tarp rigging, am I gonna die tomorrow?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NcK9RP]'Classic' A-frame[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nhaoom]Alternate[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

scotroutes

Is there space under there for your flippers?

metalheart
    Free Member

Is there space under there for your flippers?

Oh, I see, its gloves off now is it?

Hows that bike build going? 😉

scotroutes

This bike build?

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah that one.

You sorted out the head angle yet? 😉

Is that a tartan saddle? Way to go!

duncancallum

Need to try this.

Excuse the noob question is this worth a punt? Only as a local trial?
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/bivy-bag-p13634.aspx/Khaki?gclid=CPHwweum6s8CFYTnGwodm8QKcw

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Duncan that bag should be ok for a night out as long as you don’t have to pull it over your head. Condensation from your breath and sweat will see you wake up pretty damp. They’re also on the small side, so you might struggle to get your mat in there, and it could also compress your sleeping bag if it’s down, meaning it won’t loft and won’t be warm.

richardthird

I have the trekmates which sounds the same bag. As the Dog above says really. Going to buy a bigger, heavier, goretex ex-army one for the collection, about 800g & £35 on ebay.

nedrapier

Cool little film of a friend of mine from Finland:

[video]http://vimeo.com/190873469[/video]

Probably pushing it on the ST branded content rules, especially if I post this link to his little “bike packing” article:

Not Far From Home with Erkki Punttila

I liked this:

If you are planning to get big miles in for the day your only choice is to get up early and get going. There is no way around that. But sometimes it is utter bliss not to have a plan at all. Sleep as long as you feel like. Enjoy breakfast and coffee. Get going when you feel like it and do it for as long as it’s good. Have a break, take a nap. Eat warm food, look at birds – whatever makes you happy.

simondbarnes

One thing I’ve always wanted was a packable chair. I now have one 🙂

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSYpS1Ml_vN/

benp1

I’ve had one for years, got it specially brought over from the US by my sister

Don’t use it bikepacking though, still takes up too much volume. I sometimes use a chair kit for my thermarest – it’s nice to be able to sit up in your bivy bag and sleeping bag with a morning brew and look at the view

Tiger6791

Little spot I stopped at on #Jennride

angeldust
    Free Member

7 years of deception

km79
    Free Member

😆

belugabob
    Free Member

Hello bivi thread – welcome back!

postierich
    Free Member

😆

el_boufador

Well to kick things off, being fed up with the general awfulness of the weather I needed a project so I made this micro tarp over the last week (odd hour working on it here and there).
    Plan
    Pretty pleased with it, given it’s my first ever go at using a sewing machine, once I’d worked out how to use it, it was pretty easy. 200g for the tarp (silnylon), shock cord and one guy. Another 80 for alloy Y pegs i have kicking about

Making some frame bags next 🙂

I also drunkenly bought a balloonbed and also a sea to summit chinese copy matt off of ebay to try out

Have a list of some other gear I might drunkenly buy too, to save a bit of weight

scotroutes

It would be nice to keep this thread active again. It’s been great going over many of the old posts though a pity that so many of the photo links are now broken.

I’d also be interested to find out how many folk were inspired to tried bikepacking, how many did it once/twice and hated it and, of course, how many folk were keen but still haven’t tried it at all ….

km79
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say this thread has been the reason I have been bikepacking. I backpacked before and took the bike a few times (although not in the current modern style), but it has been a wonderful resource to dip in and out of for tips, ideas, gear, places etc.

ajf
    Free Member

sea to summit chinese copy matt off of ebay

How is it? Does it hold air? Whats the weight?

I have eyed those up before but not been drunk enough

Viewing 40 posts - 2,801 through 2,840 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.