Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Si and Haddocks' Big Weekend Part 1 – Ullswater, Pics
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Well the plan was for Haddock and I to do a gentle ride around the Lakes today, and then Kirroughtree tomorrow. However, as is often the case, we ended up riding for longer, and further than planned, but what a great ride.

We started at Pooley Bridge, and soon found a stone circle so I was happy

We wern't too high up, but there was a fantastic bridleway, not too technical, quite flowing alongside Ullswater.

Kerry, Haddock's dog came along too and what a star she turned out to be!

In places it was a tad too technical, with some pushing, but on the whole a cracking ride for me, and although there were plenty of walkers, pretty much everyone was really friendly and would stay to one seide especially on the descents which was great.

We ended up at the southern edge of Ullswater, and found a great little cafe/ camp site for more refreshment and I topped up my camelback. Having looked at the maps, rather than go back the way we came, decided to do a hike-a-bike up one km of climb, ready for a monster descent:

As you would expect on a day like this, some aswesome views once we made it to the top.

And a crackingly good mud-splattering bone shaking descent!

As we had ridden for longer than planned, we are now going to ride Dalbeattie tomorrow. That also helps Haddock who would otherwise have quite a bit of driving to do to Kirroughtree.

So yeah, what an awesome day out. Haddock isn't on-line as he is at his folk's house in the Lakes, but great ride, great company and great weather for it too. Am looking forward to tomorrow's ride too, although will let Haddock do his thing on the black bits of the training loop.

All photos here for those who enjoy pics of The Lakes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157622340012992/

Candodavid
    Free Member

Looks very nice Simon, the green horns of envy have risen…..must get to the lakes very soon

trailmonkey

Good stuff. I was there myself a few weeks ago. Fantastic riding.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Great photos! Can't wait to get back in November.

haddock
    Free Member

Great pics Si! Fun day, i'm keen to check out the next BW further into that range of hills 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

I think you went the opposite way round to a route I did a few years ago. It were horrendous! Spent more time pushing than riding…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We wern't too high up, but there was a fantastic bridleway, not too technical, quite flowing alongside Ullswater.

Cant see the piccies but are you suggesting the lakeshore path isnt technical? Look forward to seeing your riding skills on sunday chap 😉

wool

Ah i see you have found my local trail, used a few times a week by all the riders in penrith. Its very easy to link to Penrith through lowther park lots of good singletrack in the woods if you look for it.

rickmeister

Little Hobo, you going to Dalbeattie etc etc… this weekend? See you there?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Littlesthobo

Ah far from it. Anyone who reads my ride reports will know more often than not I am off my bike and carrying at the merest hint of a rock to negotiate.

No – the bit I was talking about was a downhill stretch from the stone circle down to the bottom at the start of the ride. The technical bridleway which actually does run along side the lake was great, but very stop and starty, with a lot of carrying (for me) and even Haddock had a bit of a moment when a couple of women would not move out of the way on a very steep and steepy downhill part.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Only joking Simon. That section of trail i find to be very technical.

Rickmiester – Yep i am going. Riding like a little girl atm but should manage to keep up

haddock
    Free Member

Haddock had a bit of a moment when a couple of women would not move out of the way on a very steep and steepy downhill part.

and a new front rotor as a result 😥

Its a great BW though, but so busy with walkers on a sunny day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Si and Haddocks' Big Weekend Part 1 – Ullswater, Pics’ is closed to new replies.