Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Shroud of Turin
  • imnotverygood

I know this won’t have any effect on the believers….
    I can’t help noticing that when it is said that it isn’t an artificially constructed image, looking at the bbc website picture, the thing that strikes me is that the hair does not represent someone lying down. I mean if you are lying flat on your back, dead, but awaiting imminent resurrection, you hair will naturally fall backwards and splay out. On the SoT this hasn’t happened. Insted you get hair that appears to be lying close to the face as if the person is standing vertically. Why has no-one pointd this out, because it really does imply someone has drawn/printed whatever an idealised form of Christ. It certainly isn’t a ‘natural’ image.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It was most likely an image of a real person, though not Jesus. Around the time the shroud was radiocarbon dated to (c1200 CE) there was a thriving industry based on pilgrimages and veneration of holy relics. It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that a recently deceased or unfortunate live person was scourged and crucified, then wrapped in a shroud in order to create another artifact.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But the hair ! How can you explain the hair ?!?!

ninfan
    Free Member

Nonsense, the shoe is the sign!

maccruiskeen

The watch is a give a away

CountZero

You don’t seem to realise that in pretty much every culture a dead body is prepared after death to look good, hair is combed, etc. The body in question has clearly been laid out according to the custom of the times, and hasn’t just been ‘raised up’ as if he’d just fallen flat on his back. He’d been nailed to a wooden cross, for starters!
    The injuries on the image on the cloth are consistent with those of the period, and not with those of later paintings: for example, most, if not all, paintings of the crucifixion show nails through the palms; that would never happen, the nails were driven through a small square space in the metacarpals of the wrist, which also causes the thumbs to contract across the palms, and there are no sign of the thumbs on the Shroud image.
    Also, after some time on the cross, criminals traditionally had the shin-bones smashed to cause the body to slump downwards, (the ankles are nailed to the cross one on top of the other), this causes asphyxiation; There are no signs of damage to the shins on the image.
    The eyes have circular objects over the kids, consistent with the practice of placing coins on the eyes to pay for passage into the next world.
    The marks on the head are consistent with a crown made of a particular sort of desert thorn which has very long, sharp thorns, more like Blackthorn.
    While I was doing a graphics course at college, we studied the Shroud, the way the image could have been formed, as it’s a negative not positive image, and other aspects of the image and their matching up with contemporary practices.
    Fascinating object, really.

vickypea
    Free Member

If you were wrapped in a shroud your hair wouldn’t fall back naturally.
    By the way, although I’m a Christian I think the shroud is a fake, just not for the reason you suggest.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

although I’m a Christian I think the shroud is a fake, just not for the reason you suggest.

Because Jesus never went to Turin ?

MoreCashThanDash

Interesting range of theories as to how the shroud was made. Take away the religious/miracle aspect from the discussion and it’s always intrigued me.

pedropete

Ninfan – Nonsense, the shoe is the sign!

Genuine LOL 🙂
    Thanks for that!

It’s not the messiah, it’s a very naughty boy

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Why does it have a face that isn’t distorted by being wrapped around a head. Surely the cheeks would be as wide as the front and the ears would be side on.

SaxonRider

The head would likely have been doused with olive oil which, together with the natural oils not washed away by shampoo, would have virtually ensured that the hair did not loosely ‘fan out’. Which proves nothing either way about the shroud, but does, at least, answer your ‘hair’ question.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Jesus used olive oil on his hair ?

jamj1974

I bought a bedsheets in Florence once…

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

it’s not the messiah, it’s a very naughty boy

SaxonRider

@ernie_lynch:

The Fonz was a bit late to the game. See anointing in the Jewish Virtual Library.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well obviously the Latinos were a bit late in discovering the desirability of a drop of oil on your barnet compared to JC

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3UK-A5QX_A[/video]

integerspin
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Because Jesus never went to Turin ?

Didn’t he go on a blag to steal some gold there?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

He’d been nailed to a wooden cross, for starters!

Allegedley.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m Christian and I think the shroud is a fake.

guido

Not saying it’s real or anything but the c14 sampling was a bit of a joke and needs redoing.
    The samples themselves were taken from the fire damaged edges ( as requested by the Vatican) and then to make matters worse the technicians where smoking while doing it.
    A re test won’t happen tho.

aracer
    Free Member

Er, wasn’t the question about whether it’s genuine settled by the first reply, which mentioned the radiocarbon dating?

poah
    Free Member

aliens

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….then to make matters worse the technicians where smoking while doing it.

Well it must have been a tense moment.

No one likes to pick the wrong week to quit smoking.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Shroud of Turin’ is closed to new replies.