Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Shropshire council to sack all staff then remploy them next day on less pay,
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-14028188

Just how can this be legal, morally right etc.Its going to ber a beurocratic nightmare, and will result in serious disruption to the services they provide.

Wonder if theres going to be an election to re elect the local councillors on less pay as well.

binners

The blanket dismissal comes after the Conservative-led council and Unison failed to reach agreement over changes to the pay and conditions of staff.

all you need to know really. They’ve got a bit of form with this kind of thing

johnners
    Free Member

Just how can this be legal, morally right etc.Its going to ber a beurocratic nightmare, and will result in serious disruption to the services they provide

You’re confusing the hell out of me, project. I thought you’d be all in favour of this sort of buffoonery.

thehustler
    Free Member

not to put too finer point on it things have got to change, we are outspending what we earn, public sector cant just keep burying its head in the sand, basically the rest of us pay their wages and we are suffering and its time to pass on some of the pain…..

donsimon
    Free Member

I hope the new lot aren’t as bad as the old lot!

richc
    Free Member

and how does selling everything you can and decimating your infrastructure help?

Its sorta like a builder selling all his tools and van to pay off his debts, yes he can pay more off initially but longer term the debt is going to be huge as he has sold/crippled his ability to make money.

Also if they sack them, I guess they all qualify for redundancy money, which will be a nice little windfall. Stupid, stupid tories.

thehustler
    Free Member

wasn’t this gov that sold the gold…….., but tbh what has that got to vdo with public sector sharing the pain…..

thehustler
    Free Member

continuity of service (reemployed within 30 days)
    take redundancy out of the equation, not soo stupid eh?

DT78
    Free Member

Surely they can’t actually do this to perm staff? I thought there were all sorts of employment laws that are in place to protect employees from this sort of behaviour?

(I don’t disagree cuts need to be made)

project
    Free Member

If they sack them ,no redundancy to pay, and a lot less staff, they think.

peakmonster
    Free Member

Just how can this be legal, morally right etc.Its going to ber a beurocratic nightmare, and will result in serious disruption to the services they provide

1. Err welcome to the real world!
    2. As taxpayers we dont owe you a living!
    3. This has to happen were broke due to years of overspending by prevoius government!

End of 😀

thehustler
    Free Member

they have been under consultation which makes it legit, cant do it without warning, but the council have followed due process

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone know what the grounds for dismissal would be though?

Stoner
    Free Member

its not dismissal so no grounds needed.

JAG

Errrmm – this also happens in the private sector.

No-one complains then and no-one expects them to.

Public Sector seem to think that everything that happens to them is just because the Government du Jour doesn’t like them! It’s just business need driving most of it.

Drac

basically the rest of us pay their wages

God that’s so dull and boring now, who is this rest of us? Well all pay taxes surely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do love all this nonsense abut the overspending by the previous government. Its all bobbins. We spend less than Germany, France, and many other countries on public services especially so if you include healthcare.

Spending is always higher under tories to pay for all the unemployment and because of the low growth. This sort of policy make the situation worse not better. The austerity cuts are already making the economy worse by reducing growth and increasing government spending on benefits.

Too many folk have been gullible and bought the tory propaganda

IanMunro
    Free Member

Errrmm – this also happens in the private sector.
    No-one complains then and no-one expects them to.

Of course they complain, and of course people expect them too.

warton
    Free Member

TJ, do we spend less than Germany or France per head, or overall?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Per head as a % of GDP. remember to include healthcare which is mainly government spending in the UK and mainly insurance based in France and Germany.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I do love all this nonsense abut the overspending by the previous government. Its all bobbins. We spend less than Germany, France, and many other countries on public services especially so if you include healthcare.

We spend more money than we take in taxes – ergo, we are overspending, do you understand the concept?

It really does not matter what other people are doing – if all your mates maxed out their credit cards to but new bikes, would it make it OK for you to do it too?

Per head as a % of GDP

GDP can go down as well as up, as recently proven!

Regardless – everyone being offered the opportunity to reengage on the new contract is entirely at liberty to not accept the offer – if they don’t like it, they can go and find another job, simples!

ourmaninthenorth

It is technically lawful (assuming the employer carefully avoids an unfair dismissal situation), though ethically quite hollow IMO.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You’re confusing the hell out of me, project. I thought you’d be all in favour of this sort of buffoonery.

Project’s mission is to be as inconsistent as possible. He’s very good at it.

binners

Ethics? Tories?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We spend more money than we take in taxes – ergo, we are overspending, do you understand the concept?

Nope – undertaxing. 🙄 That and spending money in the wrong places

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – GDP has dropped, therefore state spending must decrease to maintain the status quo, its quite logical really, thats how %ages work!

gonefishin
    Free Member

I hope they don’t want any sort of goodwill from the staff at any point in the near future. Morally reprehensible if you ask me, why not offer redundancy?

project
    Free Member

Ernie , i quite like shropshire.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Absolutely. We need to pay more in taxes (unless we nationalise some of the utilities which make mind boggling profits) So why do you argue that we should be paying less in taxes Zulu-Eleven ? Except the 20% on VAT – you like that.

lunge

Zulu-Eleven, you have summed it up perfectly.

No one likes loosing their jobs but at the moment people are, in both the public and private sectors. If the people this is happening too don’t want to take the new offer they don’t have to, they simply walk away and find another job.

I know this comment will be inflame opinion and I know it will be seen as a troll, but the public sector is having to put up with the same stuff the private sector did 18 months ago. There is no difference, and just becuase you work in the public sector it does not give you a devine right to keep that job forever.

thehustler
    Free Member

God that’s so dull and boring now, who is this rest of us? Well all pay taxes surely.

erm no, private sector is generally cash generator, public sectors cannot/do not create any ‘new’ money, and are therfore in reality paid for by the private sector

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

undertaxing… I take it you’ve never heard of the Laffer curve then Ernie? I’m sure you’d be happy to see your own taxes rise to pay the bill?

what’s that? ah, you’re happy to spend “other peoples money”, but not your own?

donsimon
    Free Member

and just becuase you work in the public sector it does not give you a devine right to keep that job forever

Yes it does. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The tories austerity programme will and is making the situation worse by stifling growth and increasing unemployment.

I would be quite happy to pay more taxes – and equally I would be delighted to see the suprerrich actually pay some – and inheritance taxes rise even tho that would cost me as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

private sector is generally cash generator, public sectors cannot/do not create any ‘new’ money,

What a load on nonsense. When a service is privatised, it doesn’t suddenly and magically ‘generate cash’.

It does the opposite actually – it keeps some of the cash as “profit”.

binners

I would be quite happy to pay more taxes – and equally I would be delighted to see the suprerrich actually pay some – and inheritance taxes rise even tho that would cost me as well.

Bloody Hell TJ. News International payed almost a whole 1% in tax last year. What more do you want? Blood?!

phil.w
    Free Member

can someone explain for me how it’s legal to sack everyone without it falling under unfair-dismissal or similar.

coffeeking
    Free Member

public sectors cannot/do not create any ‘new’ money, and are therfore in reality paid for by the private sector

I work in the public sector (A University) (albeit on the edge of it) and we generate new cash by collaboration with industry and bringing in foreign student cash (though of course we do have government funding and tuition fees taken from some home students.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

I’m sure you’d be happy to see your own taxes rise to pay the bill?

Well make your mind up – you just said that we weren’t paying enough in tax.

And why the huge hike on VAT which you fully support ?

Try to be consistent geezer.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

can someone explain for me how it’s legal to sack everyone without it falling under unfair-dismissal or similar.

The clue is in “everyone”. It’s not unfair if you treat everyone the same.

I think some people might be under the misapprehension that we live in a country where workers have substantial rights. Too much reading of the Sun and the Daily Mail I fear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Shropshire council to sack all staff then remploy them next day on less pay,’ is closed to new replies.