Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shrinking confectionery – Jaffa favourites
  • grtdkad

McVities at it now. Jaffa Cake pack size down from 12 cakes to 10.
    That’s little more than a snack!!

“Jaffa quake as McVitie’s cuts pack sizes”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41400677

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Also, I swear it seems as if McVities Chocolate Homewheat now use a cost-cutting powder-coating process for their chocolate application

grtdkad

…like a chocolate spray tan ?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just about every confectionery bar or biscuit has reduced over the last few years ..but not in price..
    I have absolutely no facts to back this up ..but is this a government directive to help reduce obesity?

cchris2lou

It is called taking back control.

P-Jay
    Free Member

hodgynd – Member
    Just about every confectionery bar or biscuit has reduced over the last few years ..but not in price..
    I have absolutely no facts to back this up ..but is this a government directive to help reduce obesity?

It’s called ‘shrinkflation’

BBC report

We import so much stuff in the UK that when our currency falls the price must go up, but rather than do that they reduce the size of them to reduce the production costs because consumers are far more likely to remember the price of something than the size / weight.

The pound shops have been doing it for years, rather than sell you the same thing as Tesco sell for £1.50 for £1, they ask the manufacturers to make a smaller (or sometimes bigger) one to tailor it to a £1 sale price.

The good thing about shrinkflation is that it usually applies to confectionery and other non-essentials. In a country with an obesity problem and a currency problem getting slightly less of something you don’t need, is a lot better than paying more for the same amount if all you’re really buying is a bit of a treat for yourself.

grtdkad

Raw material prices increase
    Consumer only prepared to pay £x per pack
    Pack size shrinks to satisfy price threshold
    Obesity = fixed

toby1

Only just discovered this, OUTRAGED, I blame the Brexit!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Raw material prices increase
    Consumer only prepared to pay £x per pack
    Pack size shrinks to satisfy price threshold
    Obesity = fixed

That must be why we only have to pay a pound or less for mahoosive multi-packs of new-improved sugar and palm-oil enriched semi-chocolate biscuits that seem to be on special offer’ via a weekly cycle.

Reduced quality = more quantity.

A biscuit aisle earlier today:

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Only just discovered this, OUTRAGED, I blame the Brexit!

Quite the opposite, it’s metrification. No doubt the EU getting its kicks in whilst it can. Don’t worry post brexit it’ll be back to an even dozen and will cost half a farthing.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I remember when Wagon Wheel biscuits were 300mm across

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I remember when my waist was 300mm across 😳

maccruiskeen

The good thing about shrinkflation is that it usually applies to confectionery and other non-essentials.

Costco bog roll, courtesy of a bigger diameter tube and quilting the paper, is now 20% less bog roll per pack whilst appearing to be the same size packs and for the same price. So its not something thats reserved for treats.

gnusmas

That’s little more than a snack!!

I thought it was a snack! 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

Don’t care, I only buy the lidl ones anyway.

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t care, I only buy the lidl ones anyway.

According to the article, they’re all lidl.

cheers_drive

This thread has inspired me to binge eat a pack of Aldi Jaffa Cakes. The blood sugar roller caster has started…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Costco bog roll, courtesy of a bigger diameter tube and quilting the paper, is now 20% less bog roll per pack whilst appearing to be the same size packs and for the same price. So its not something thats reserved for treats.

Quilted loo roll sounds like a treat to me. We still use old newspaper up here in the North. Not the mail though, we’ve standards you know.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ritter bars don’t seem to have changed in size or price for a long time, and they’re pretty decent, unlike the cadbury’s stuff which can shrink to nothing as far as i care now that Mondelez have taken control and screwed up the taste.

These are holding up well also :

grtdkad

Mmmm, Tunnocks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shrinking confectionery – Jaffa favourites’ is closed to new replies.