Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Showing someone car controls, not on open road, insurance or not?
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

Wanna go over the basic controls with a friend who wants to learn. Will not be on the road, maybe some quiet car park. Do I still need to get her insurance?

Cougar

Probably not on private land. Might be sensible though.

ninfan
    Free Member

Be aware that if the public have access, then it can still be classed as a road.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Define “not on the road” and “private land”
    If you can freely drive onto/into it then you can be prosecuted.
    Lots of caselaw/precedents out there unfortunately.

somouk
    Free Member

You should always be insured. Even on private land, unless you own the land and it is locked off so no one else could possibly get in there, then it may be worth the risk.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I could show her with the engine off but she won’t get the relationship between the clutch and accelerator pedals. Might just get her insurance then.

twixhunter
    Free Member

Sunday late afternoon in large retail carpark far away from parked cars after stores have closed. That’d be your best bet.

johndoh
    Free Member

Do you have any public access vehicle training centres near you? You pay to use it and their insurance covers public liability.

I used one at Tockwith near York when I was learning to drive. It was a disused airfield.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Private land is different to a car park. Who do you expect to pay out the third party claim if the car hits a member of the public, any road furniture or a building.
    Private land that is your property, not open to the public and you don’t car if the car damages something there then not a problem although the student cold still claim from you as they are under your supervision.

hammyuk
    Free Member

twixhunter – Member
    Sunday late afternoon in large retail carpark far away from parked cars after stores have closed. That’d be your best bet.

See above – classed as a “public road”.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are the days gone when teenagers would creep slowly up their Mum & Dad’s driveway in first gear and then reverse back and do it again just to learn the controls and practice clutch control?
    I was good enough for me and my mates when I were a lad.
    Nothing bad ever happened to us….. except for that one time when my younger brothers foot slipped off the clutch and he panicked and drove my Dad’s 7 series Beemer into the garage with the door closed 😯 😳

rwamartin
    Free Member

What is a road?

I think you’ll find that many places where the public have ready access would be classified as a public place and would require insurance.

You’ll be committing offences if you are supervising them.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Frankly for all the hassle they’d be better off just paying for a lesson – lesson 1 is the basics and will cost £15 I guess?

wwaswas

Let someone with dual controls get them up to speed with the basics.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It’ll cost you more in insurance than one of the “10 lessons for £X” driving schools.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah you can get off-road private car control tuition for youngesters, I think – might be something available.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Showing someone car controls, not on open road, insurance or not?’ is closed to new replies.