Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Showers – 9kw vs 10.8kw ?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Am I going to notice much difference? If I go for a 10.8kw shower, I’m going to need to spend £150 on fitting a 10mm cable.

Am I right in thinking that th extra power allows the water to be heated faster, so you can turn the flow up higher and achieve the same temperature?

I was thinking of getting a Mira Sports shower, with air boost – sounds like fun.

gonefishin
    Free Member

That’s a 20% increase in rated power so there will be a difference, although given that you can’t compare them side by side whether you will notice anything is another question.

Am I right in thinking that th extra power allows the water to be heated faster, so you can turn the flow up higher and achieve the same temperature?

Yes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went from 7.2kw to 8.4kw and it was noticeable but probably moreso as it was previously lower powered than yours, in a cold flat, in Scotland.

If you’re going to be in the property for a long time, I’d say do it.

stumpy01

20% more powerful, which I reckon would definitely be noticeable. I would pay the extra.

We’ve got a 10.5kW shower and in the summer it’s ridiculously powerful. In the winter, when the inlet water is that much colder it is perfectly fine, but it is a lot less powerful due to the reduction in flow rate through the element.

I wouldn’t want anything less than what we have now, purely for during the winter. In the summer, I often use it on eco mode, which reduces the power and it’s still hot (and powerful) enough.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

was thinking of doing the same until i fould a little trick with our mira sport.

turn heating dial up to V hot, wait until water is v hot then back off heating dial slowly until desired heat vs flow is achieved. I seem to get better flow for same heat of water with that method.

sounds a bit daft but works well enough to not warrant replacing the shower!

clubber
    Free Member

I’m trying to think of some way that that would work, millhouse. Unless the shower has a massive heatsink to stabilise temperature then I can’t think of one. Electric showers of the type we’re talking about here are really simple.

They provide X energy per second (which is the kW figure) which allows you to raise the temperature of a quanity of water by a fixed amount. If you turn the dial to hotter, you let less water flow so it gets hotter (same energy, less mass of water) or if you turn it to colder, you get more water flow so it’s less hot.

In your example, as you turn it down, the water flow will increase, reducing the temperature but that’s directly linked to the water flow, not whether you started hotter or not.

johndoh
    Free Member

Assuming you are staying there a while and the water pressure to the property is good then yes. If you have poor water pressure you may not notice any significant improvement anyway.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I think my water pressure is OK, so I’ll go for it. Or does anyone have a way of measuring water pressure? If this is the same a flow, then presumably you can see how long it takes to fill a litre container etc?

johndoh
    Free Member

I believe it is the same. Plumbers have a nifty little cup (weir cup?) that calculates it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sorry for slight highjack but can anyone explain why the pressure to our shower is low (comparably) to the rest of the house please?

johndoh
    Free Member

Could be anything – you haven’t supplied any details yet.

Power shower? Gravity fed? Mains pressure? Electric?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

clubber:

slightly confused by it myself but it seems to work! go try it…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Electric shower (non-power), pressure-fed.

johndoh
    Free Member

So direct from the mains (ie, not from a header tank?)

tiggs121
    Free Member

There may be a restrictor valve (ball valve) in the cold feed to protect the shower from too high a pressure. Check upstream from the shower.

Use a screwdriver to open it up a wee bit.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

OP – if you’re there for any amount of time, get the 10.8kw.

mrchrispy

get the most powerful one you can afford/power supply can handle.
    you can always turn it down but if you have the less powerful one you cant turn it up if you are already on full!

phiiiiil

I measured our water pressure using a screw-on hosepipe adapter with an old inner tube valve pushed through it and a shock pump with a gauge on. Nothing exploded, the pump still works and I didn’t die.

patriotpro
    Free Member

There may be a restrictor valve (ball valve)

From the mains. Yes there is a valve, it is all the way out (full flow).

tiggs121
    Free Member

One of these?

patriotpro
    Free Member

No, a stop-cock tiggs. (like a tap but with 2 lugs on it)

AlexSimon

Can you replace the 10mm cable yourself to save money?
    Mine was easier than I thought.
    I would also make sure there’s a toggle pull-switch by the bathroom door.

soobalias
    Free Member

suspect millhaus is also heating the hose and shower head before turning up the flow….

M1llh0use
    Free Member

that could be part of it!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Showers – 9kw vs 10.8kw ?’ is closed to new replies.