Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shower question – running too hot.
  • Coyote
    Free Member

We have recently had a new shower fitted, non-electric just standard hot and cold pipes feeding into a mixer. The water is quite hot however when you turn the mixer completely to cold it stays warm. I’ve mentioned this to the plumber and he muttered something about the heat exchange valve in the boiler.

This doesn’t ring true to me. The hot feed comes from the boiler and the cold feed from, well the cold feed. In my mind, turning the mixer completely to cold should isolate the hot feed completely and facilitate a cold shower.

Any advice before I unload both barrels at him?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it thermostatic?

martinhutch

If it’s a thermostatic shower, it might be as simple as changing the limit settings on the cartridge/lever. What’s the make/model?

Turn off the hot supply. If you can get a cold shower then, it’s the mixer.

Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks. Pretty sure it’s a thermostatic. However if I turn it completely to cold then it should isolate the hot feed completely and facilitate much icy goodness. Is that not the case or am I missing something?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s working properly, yes. If it’s either been set wrongly or it’s goosed, then it could be that.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If it’s thermostatic then it can be adjusted, although I agree with you, I would expect it to shut off the the hot water completely when turned to cold.

Have a look in the manual at how to adjust the settings, it should be accessible on the outside.

allthepies
    Free Member

What are you up to, needing cold showers, eh ? 8)

footflaps

Thanks. Pretty sure it’s a thermostatic. However if I turn it completely to cold then it should isolate the hot feed completely and facilitate much icy goodness.

Ours is thermostatic and you get 100% cold feed water on the cold setting….

wwaswas

the cold feed from, well the cold feed

Cold’s coming from a mains pressure feed like the hot, not a tank?

Coyote
    Free Member

Yup, cold feed from mains pressure feed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shower question – running too hot.’ is closed to new replies.