Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shower extractor fans – stopping draughts
  • meeeee
    Free Member

ok random topic i know but…

I’ve got a shower enclosure with extractor fan in above the enclosure. When its not on theres a big cold draught coming down it and making the shower room cold.

Its a cheapo inline axial type fan, duct exit is in the soffit so i cant fit a shuttered exit vent.

If i fit a centifugal fan rather than an axial one (which pretty much allows draughts to blow straight through) will this fix the problem?

eg http://www.manrose.co.uk/specifications/man50inlinecent.pdf

Other option is a shutter on the inside part of the fan, but as its actually in the enclosure the only shuttered one i could find was this…

http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/airflow-icon-eco30s-1470-p.asp

There are backdraught shutters available to fit along the duct but most reviews say thay are pretty usless + rattle lots when its windy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fit a cowl on the soffit and point it away from the direction of the wind.

footflaps

Our bathroom is exactly the same, a cold wind blows back in through the fan. Runs right down your neck when you sit on the toilet.

Been meaning to do something about it for years, was thinking of fitting a heat exchanging fan in its place…

cr500dom
    Free Member

Taylor Wimpey by any chance ?
    Ours does exactly the same and a cowl wont help as it bounces off the wall and comes up through the soffit vent.
    Ideally it needs a shuttered vent standing vertical in the ceiling void, inline in the duct itself.
    So far I have not managed to find one…..

oldgit
    Free Member

Fit a back draught shutter in line. Cut the duct, add BD shutter and re connect.

neninja
    Free Member

We fitted an Airflow Icon which has a shutter that opens when it’s switched on and closes when it’s off. Solved the problem for us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shower extractor fans – stopping draughts’ is closed to new replies.